For those who’ve played Demon Souls and found that themselves in need of another soul-crushingly-difficult experience to fulfill their sadomasochistic needs, publisher Namco Bandai dropped some new details and a whole mess of screens today for sorta-sequel Dark Souls that should give players just what they’ve been looking for.
One of the new features in Dark Souls that should ease your suffering is The Beacon Fire, thus described in a newly-published fact sheet:
In Dark Souls, players have a new friend. The Beacon Fire is a key feature that will permeate the entire game universe, serving a number of important functions for players as they battle on many levels to overcome the uniquely challenging universe. Throughout the world, the small, warm light of The Beacon Fire will serve as a point of subtle relief that glows in the cold, dark world that the player explores.The Beacon Fire is a recovery point to replenish your life gauge, a restart point for when players die (and oh how they’ll die), and sharing point where players can gather around and share the Dark Souls
Given that the game features a sprawling, seamless world with no distinct levels, The Beacon Fire sounds almost cozy by comparison. So, gather round the fire,snuggle up with that special someone, and check out thirteen new screenshots of the game right here!
Dark Souls is currently in development at From Software and is headed to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sometime this year.
How high is Dark Souls on your bad-ass-o-meter? Set the comments ablaze with your thoughts and let us know!
I will quote silent rob “Exited is an understatement, my dick is so hard it could cut diamonds” =)
Looks very good indeed, can’t wait to play it later this year!
I like how Dark Souls is noticeably brighter than Demon’s Souls. Less frailing around in the dark and inching forward carefully to avoid pitfalls.
Cant wait to get my ass handed to me by this game
demon’s souls was such an interesting game with its difficulty I hope this beacon fire idea doesn’t make dark souls and less difficult.
Im not really a person that likes to be be challenged in my games more of a story kind of guy but loved demon’s souls so I’m super excited for dark souls.
I suck at Demon’s Souls! It is the most time I’ve ever put into a game with out EVER leveling up. But even with that, each new enemy I defeated felt rewarding. I could actually see myself improving at the game over the hours of attempting to get through the first level. I was becoming a better fighter, as if I was actually trying to learn the skill. Carefully balancing attacks, evade, and block in order to defeat a specific enemy without bottoming out endurance. Fantastic! About the time I got the hang of it (beat the Blue face and Red face)I saw that big-ass dragon engulf the bridge with flames and said under my breath….”fffuuuuuuck that” to remain in the Nexus for all eternity.
I bought demon’s souls for $15 used, played it for an amount of time I’m embarrassed to admit to because I got pretty much NOWHERE, and thought it was AWESOME! I can’t say that about any other game.
I’m interested to hear about Dark Souls, but don’t feel like I’ve earned the right to play it. I may pick it up if a friend gets it and wants to give it a shot in a cooperative approach. But I’ll know deep down I’m not worthy.
Demon’s Souls was probably one of my favorite games in an very long time. The atmosphere and sense of accomplishment is almost unmatched to me.
Dark Souls is definitely my most anticipated game this year.