Speculation is fun. What will happen with my stock portfolio? When will my hard drive fail again? Will the dishwasher talk in front of other people tonight? A favorite scenario among those in gaming circles has been what Bungie will be working on now that they’ve finished their last Halo title? This past week, at GDC 2011, we got our answer and its probably not what you might be speculating it is.
Turns out that Bungie is working on an MMO, an Massively Multiplayer Action Game to be more precise. Emphasis on the ‘action’ as Bungie‘s David Aldridge was quick to dismiss talk that it would be “WoW in space.” While further details (including a title) are still forthcoming, you can be sure that the studio that put the Xbox 360 on the map is going to have everyone anxious to peak over their shoulder at whatever it is they’re dreaming up next.
Are you excited to see Bungie working on something non-Halo? Anxious to see them put their stamp on MMO’s? Can you imagine how different gaming would be now if they’d released the first Halo on the Mac as they’d originally planned? Hit up the comments!
Source
Not exactly what I was expecting, but I commend them for the project. Change is good, especially in an artistic entertainment medium where stagnation is the bane of all. Even if their project flops uber-hard, I say hells yea for them trying something outside of their comfort zone.
im am interested in this, ive been saying for a while im tired of the whole hotkeys and mouse in pc gaming, as if somehow the apex of all gaming will come down to those 2.
not that theyre inherently bad, or bad at all but the problem is when every game plays like wow, everygame plays like wow.
im interested in this.
I don’t think this task is beyond their REACH:D
Halonline? I guess we will see what they are up to later on:) I’m very interested in this but then again I am also very interested in the WH40K MMO action game as well, and not to mention SWTOR!
Yeah… well it seems it was a joke…
To be honest I like that it was so… because I think bungie cand do a lot more with a single-player/multiplayer game … and I think they can really bring something interesting that way a lot better than trough a MMO
I think Bungie was in a “damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t” position.
If they did another shooter in space, they’d be compared to Halo and have to pull out something insanely good.
Now that they’re trying a new genre, they risk hurting themselves, especially in the MMO genre with a untested franchise.
Bungie knows how to craft a universe, I’ll give them that, and them sticking to multiplayer, which is their strength, sounds logical too. Interested to hear more about this.
Sorry, this is disappointing. I’m extremely critical of MMO’s due to the subscription model, particularly the time and money invested over months and possibly years of play and because this will be published by Activision you just know it’s going to have a subscription.
Bungie says MMO to Activision and Activision sees dollar signs.
After WOW is likely SWTOR which pretty much means all other MMO’s are fighting over 3rd place. Rather than a Free to play model, I’d like to see MMO’s drift towards a retial rlease supported by advertisements on the log in screen. I’d be a lot more likely to buy T.E.R.A. Online if it didn’t have a subscription but because it has a subscription I’m going to pass on it for SWTOR.
I’ll give Guild Wars 2 a shot since it has no subscription where as if it did I would just skip it too. It has nothing to do with entitlement; it’s about moderation/budget and reality of not subscribing to a bunch of different MMO’s.
Supposedly the MMO thing was a joke.
Glad they aren’t making another space shooter.
shooter mmo? ARE THEY KIDDING ME?
Shooter and mmo are 2 words that dont go together, didnt they saw what happened to DC universe?
the world of MMO is to big for the shooter gener,they are 2 different games.its like trying to put funny lines in dead space, which is a horror game.
iam not saying its a bad idea, its just that iam sur bungie cant pull it off,its gonna be an other DCuniverse.
however,if blizzard trys it,iam sur they will succeed