The Latest




There’s very little debate about the fact that the PC version of BioWare’s RPG Dragon Age was the superior version of the game when compared to its console brethren. This was mainly due to the fact that the user was given a better view of the battlefield while being granted much more control over the combat scenarios, which seemed to be designed with the PC control mechanics in mind.

Well, as anyone tracking the game knows, the combat in the upcoming sequel Dragon Age 2 is being overhauled, which is a bit of a concern for PC players that adored the first game’s approach. Today, a new video has hit the net that details the combat system on the PC including an overview of the Action/RPG and “Pause and Play” approaches that will be afforded to its players.

Check out the video above and then chime in with your thoughts on all things Dragon Age 2!

Posted by Anonymous

7 Comments

  1. Excusemesir Says:
  2. The need to include an Action/adventure gameplay mode makes me scared for my future as a PC RPG fan.

    I’m afraid I won’t be able to play the games I enjoyed anymore because we need to make room for casual play in every game type now, even what used to be the tactical RPG genre.

    I know they are trying to include both modes, but can it really be the same?!

    I have come to terms with the fact that I’m part of a minority in the way I like to play these games, just a sign of old age I guess.

    Still I cannot help but feel nostalgic about the games I used to love and hoped to keep playing.

     
  3. Scralatos Says:
  4. As long as the “tactical rpg” element still feels and rewards me in the same way as it has done with the other rpgs of this genrè(NWN and etch) and aint dumbed down because of the available “action rpg” mode thats been made, I see no problems with them trying to make this game appeal to a wider audience as long as they keep the game as still hitting the quality mark I expect out of the guys at bioware.

    I`ll still be playing it the old fashioned way but thats just me =)

    With this game and The Witcher 2 coming soon I reccon the RPG lovers out there are gonna have a great time coming up =D(And what about ES5 OMG cant even begin to tell you the anticipations I`ve got for that game)

    PS: im norwegian so sorry for the grammar

     
  5. Im guessing that im just going to buy 2 games next year.. As Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2, is going to take up alot of my time..

    Im glad that they decided to keep the paus and play part, but of course ill try out the more action oriented way to play.

     
  6. FMF Says:
  7. I’m not a big pc gamer.So I wasn’t to familiar with this kind of play style till dragon age.That being said I prefer pause and play to the action base way.To me it felt new and unique.Not to mention how funny it is when your yelling at the screen saying what the hell are you doing.So yea ill be playing it that way for my main play through and try the other on my 2nd go.

     
  8. Zewnki Says:
  9. I absolutely loved Dragon age, started out on max difficulty as in any other game nowadays and found it really challenging from the start, BUT in an oh soo sweet way
    ofcourse that challenge diminished over time but not too much until the expansion witch was just way to easy.
    now my scare about DA2 is that it will be much like Awakening, where you have the pause and play style but zero need for any strategy.(kinda like ME2)

    just looking at this video it looks abit to simplified but i still have hope, if the manage to pull off 2 different styles of play like this its obviously the best option for the game.

     
  10. This looks totally awesome! I haven’t played the first game (yet), but I generally don’t like turn-based combat, like in Knights of the Old Republic. Is that what is meant by “tactical RPG?” I much more prefer the real-time combat, like in Mass Effect. Is that what is meant by “action RPG?” If so, I will probably choose the action approach.

    Edit: I guess I didn’t realize that The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout are also action RPG’s. What fun!

     
  11. liyad Says:
  12. You needed strategy in ME2…if you cranked up the difficulty…

    It looks great, the action-RPG side looks ok, but the tactical mode and animations look so much better and much more fluid then the first game. Already have my pre-order anyway!

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets