The Latest


I've never played a Call of Juarez game, aside from an Xbox Live demo, and while I've heard that they're decent Western shooters, there was really nothing special about the past 2 games to warrant a purchase for me. Now, with the success of Red Dead Redemption, it seems like Ubisoft is ready to try its hand at the Western genre again, but not in a way you might expect.

Ubisoft announced today, that Call of Juarez The Cartel is currently in development and scheduled for a Summer 2011 release. What's surprising about the 3rd installment in the Call of Juarez series is its setting, ditching the Wild West for a more modern setting, taking players "from the heart of modern day Los Angeles, California to Juarez, Mexico." Adam Novickas states that, "The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot."

I'm not so sure about this one. Trying to revamp a Western series by "modernizing" it doesn't exactly sound like the right initiative to me, but I guess I can't really say anything until I actually see some gameplay. There's supposed to be a big article on the game in the March issue of EGM, so subscribers keep your eyes peeled. For more info on Call of Juarez The Cartel check out the official website below:

Call of Juarez The Cartel

Posted by Jacob

5 Comments

  1. Kebrus Says:
  2. Goddamnit why does it have to take place in present-day? I really liked the last game mayby even more than red dead redempion. Don’t know if I’m gonna pick this game up.

     
  3. Nevarran Says:
  4. The first game was awesome, haven’t played the second one yet, but I’ll correct that mistake soon.
    Looking forward to see some more for The Cartel, but looks like it’ll keep the series’ style.

     
  5. imaruffrider Says:
  6. Why make it in present day? Goddammit, the wild west setting was exactly why I loved the first 2 CoJ D:
    Now it’s just like any other 3rd person shooter out there.

    “I find your lack of Cowboys disturbing”

     
  7. Becks Says:
  8. Well this is another horribly complicated situation of the ‘What if’ situation…
    What if it isnt good, will it impact the view people who never played the first 2 games will have?
    What if it losses the charm the first 2 games had?
    there are so many ‘what ifs’ about this announcement i dont know where to go with it, but i guess we just have to have faith in Ubisoft and the franchise they created…

     
  9. encancerence Says:
  10. Oh my god, just because COD went back to the 60s doesn’t mean the now vacant plot of land known as “the modern shooter” that they selfishly hogged should be immediately occupied by every shooter franchise. And what do you mean, the best elements of the Wild West genre? I don’t even know what that means!!! And further more, a modern Wild West theme has already been done, it’s called Red Steal 2!

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets