In news that surprised exactly no one, DICE let everyone know today that Battlefield 3 will have dedicated servers on PC. Beyond that, however, the details do start to get a tad murky.
For starters, we don’t know if getting a dedicated server will require renting from a pre-selected provider as in Bad Company 2. Second, we don’t know for sure about EA-hosted servers for console multiplayer. In fairness though, the real news would be if DICE was making significant changes to their roll-out for Battlefield 3 which, thus far, doesn’t appear to be the case. Whatever comes, we’ll have more details for you as soon as DICE serves them up.
What do the Axe Heads think? Were you okay with the rental-plan dedicated hosting in Bad Company 2? Do you think its an anti-piracy tool or just a way to ensure the quality of online play? Sound off and let us know!

well like everyone else I’m pretty iffy about this but that’s to be expected with the lack of details. I have loooooooved bad company & bad company 2 but they always seemed to miss the immersion that bf1942 & bf2 had for me. Also I am quite worried that they are going to look @ COD & take key mechanics from it instead of creating their own. This in my opinion would be a HUGE mistake as the people who play battlefield DO NOT WANT a COD clone with bigger maps/vehicles.. stick to the old bf formula (one that works great) & just add some of your own creative ideas :D if they stick to that then BF3 will be amazing.. if not.. I think i’ll keep playing bad company2: Vietnam :P
…….OR hope for a new tribes xD
The sky is blue? That sucks, all I ever seem to get is grey with showers :(
BC2 was awesome, dedicated servers are awesome and BF3 will be awesome. I’m just hoping they implement some destruction 3.0.