The Latest


CES showed off some fancy gadgets this year, and surprisingly, one of the most promising peripherals comes for PC.

The Razer Hydra Sixense is a motion-controlled peripheral for PC, made in conjunction with Intel and Valve. The controllers feature dual analog sticks and a radius range of six feet using a electromagnetic base (that’s how the **** they work).

A Razer rep demoed the Hydra Sixense at CES with a level from Portal 2, and the motions look like one-to-one done right. Check out a video Engadget shot from the show and decide if it’s motion-controlled perfection or simple sleight of hand.

There’s no official price point or release date for the Hydra, although the rep suggests it will be “under $100″ and “early this year.” Portal 2 is set precariously to drop April 18, and a Hydra bundle may makes some sense, considering Razer’s demo material.

Razer also scored a Best of CES 2011 for their portable PC gaming innovation, codenamed Switchblade. Check out the Switchblade concept design official website for a look at their truly fascinating design.

What do you think Razer’s products can do for PC gaming? Are these game-changers or conceptual pipe dreams? Leave your thoughts below!

Posted by Anonymous

4 Comments

  1. Nevarran Says:
  2. If I ever wanted to use motion controller this would be it.
    Now us PC gamers have another reason why it’s worth being one, thanks Dustin!

    Razer has some pretty slick equipment albeit a bit too expensive for my taste. I am more competetive than an avarage gamer and I can say from experience that Razer’s equipment is really good. I expect them to bring precision in the field of controlling.

     
  3. schwink Says:
  4. Razer normally has solid products, mostly surrounding mouses. The sixense looks like the Move which just makes me kinda halt. It’s cool but not really needed for. The mouse has proven to work really over so many years. Using motion control won’t add much.

    The laptop looks neat but that’s about it. I’m not really into gaming laptop because I don’t use laptops that much for gaming (have used to do so, but it was just a temp solution).

    The only neat thing I might buy that was shown at CES was the Kinect clone for the PC from Asus. Not for games but more for the programmer inside me which just wants to screw around with it. Quote

     
  5. Kivatthethir Says:
  6. I did some research when I heard about this controller and I must say, it looks very cool. According the video I saw (see below), the controller is supposed to release day and date with Portal 2 (as Jess said, that is April 18th).

    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnF5q4NmVLs)

    …..and…..Valve has designed custom content (special levels) in Portal 2 just for the PC version that uses this controller as well as having L4D2 ready to work with it upon release!

     
  7. buying it just for one game? i dont see how would that be better/easier to use in RTS games or FPS comparing to mouse and keyboard also if you are planning to play 2 or more hours on that your arms would fell off

    yes it looks cool but im sure it wont be cheap

    im skeptical about that whole idea of bringing new controllers to PC/MAC

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets