One of the most obvious problems with Kinect is its apparent inability to support FPS games, a trait Sony was quick to exploit in its Move advertising campaign last year.
A recent Kinect hack attempts to remedy this hardware shortfall, and you don’t even have to turn your fingers into a gun. You do, however, have to use jazz hands to shoot.
Creator Bill Maxwell posted a demo video of his hack, which uses only one hand to control character movement, weapons changing and shooting. I won’t say what changing weapons looks like, but I bet a few of you could switch between guns really quickly.
Mr. Maxwell claims his controller-less hack plays better than a mouse, and naturally Inside Kinect agrees with him completely and takes his demo as proof Kinect is hardware for the hardcore. Check out the video and tell us if you think Kinect can FPS with the best, or if buttons are truly necessary.

I can play with myself with one hand, way more fun and precise, with movement and speed regulation,..
-
I will not comment any further, because I will sound like ultimate Sony fanboy. :)
Pretty cool demo though,..
Kevin Butler can joke all he wants. I think it would be rather awesome if it was voice activated and you could shoot by going “pew pew pew!”
I’m a little hopeful for the future of Kinect now. I was just wondering with some friends yesterday about how it will translate into games other than the dance/fitness/sports genre. 360 caters quite a bit to fps.
However, did anyone notice any strafing during that demo? I did not. Plus, there are a LOT more actions to account for. Such as grenades, melee attacks, etc. Decent hack, but it has a long way to go.
“punch to shoot” – I want to see him shoot a machine gun
This will work with very simple shooters, that is all. Motion controls have another 20 or 30 years to go before they best mouse and keyboard or even controllers.
I would like to see him in an online match with these controls on like Call of Duty. He would no longer claim these controls are better. Just the fact that you cant strafe with these controls makes them useless
It’s neat and all, but I really don’t see why anyone would rather wave their hand/arm around to play a shooter than use a controller. It would be fun as a novelty for a short while, but I imagine that it would get tedious very quickly.
Losing the feeling of pulling a tangible trigger button to fire your weapons and trading it for a much larger, unnatural gesture just seems like a step backwards to me.
I agree with you maybe it has something to do with gun control laws, I don’t really know, but a FPS is more feasible with a controller.