The Latest


Congressman Joe Baca (D-California) is attempting to reintroduce the Video Game Health Labeling Act, referring the bill to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. The legislation would require all video games rated Teen and up by the ESRB to carry a disclaimer, which would read “WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior.”
“We must hold the video game industry accountable and do everything in our power to ensure parents are aware of the detrimental effects that violent games can have before making decisions on which games are appropriate for their children to play,” Baca said. “I am proud to introduce the Video Game Health Labeling Act, and am hopeful this legislation can work to stop the growing influence of violent media on America’s children and youth.”
Frank Wolf, the bill’s cosponsor, said in a statement, “Just as we warn smokers of the health consequences of tobacco, we should warn parents — and children — about the growing scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between violent video games and violent behavior. As a parent and grandparent, I think it is important people know everything they can about the extremely violent nature of some of these games.”
Baca asserts that a variety of “scientific studies from the Pediatrics Journal, University of Indiana, University of Missouri, and Michigan State University” indicate a link between violent games and violent behavior in kids and teens, although there have been several studies that contradict this. Given the discrepancies in studies, the argument is inconclusive, at best.
So putting warning labels on video games based on spotty research seems to be something that could possibly happen down the line. What do you guys think of that?
via 1UP

Posted by Lance

18 Comments

  1. AngryPerson Says:
  2. if anything video games has been an outlet for my aggression…other wise i probably would be a much more openly angry person.

     
  3. Jwalker Says:
  4. What? This old crap again? People trying to pass laws based on research that hasn’t even been fully examined is complete crap. Do you know that there was another study that was made awhile back suggesting the complete opposite this supposed study supposedly proved (as was pointed out in this article)? Point is, turn your attention to more important things instead of constantly badgering the video game industry. It almost seems like violence in video games is getting more attention than violence in tv programs, which kids are generally exposed to more.

     
  5. Luke2903 Says:
  6. they really need to go ahead and change the name of the industry to something other than “video game” which would render this brain dead of an idea null and void. Why don’t they slap a labels on the liberal news media outlets, slap labels on youtube videos. I cannot believe how low the sensitivity levels of people have dropped now. Instead of blaming and trying to control all things for violence; guns, video games, computer games, movies, comics. Why don’t they propose “idiot” control so tragic events do not happen.

     
  7. Rawkn Says:
  8. How about this for an idea, how about games don’t come out in packages with a picture depicting the violence or sex or foul language on it and just be wrapped in a newspaper like cover with all the different warnings it could have, because really, a person who cares about this stuff won’t look for it. People who care just expect the government to step in and tell us what to do.

    This guy should be on the Darwin list.

    P.S. For anyone who doesn’t get this post, I think this is a stupid idea, Australia has its ratings system, there is the ESRB for the US, PEGI for Europe. No country needs two rating systems.

     
  9. DonRaptozone Says:
  10. If this gets done I demand they put a similar sticker on everything containing “Hello Kitty”. ’cause I get aggressive when I’m flooded with too much pink kitten and I’m normally a pretty relaxed guy. I’m sure I am not the only one and I’m equally sure I can get someone to do a “scientific study” to prove it.

     
  11. WTF Says:
  12. his is a disgrace, a person has to be wrong in the head in the first place for them to play GTA IV and think its ok to shoot the face of a person in the street. IT IS NOT THE GAMES FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This congressman needs to get f*****g grip. and get a life. Games don’t harm your health like cigarettes and alcohol do. Its down to the gamer to decide whats right and wrong and if what they see in a game is acceptable in the real world.

     
  13. Tbag Says:
  14. I am tired of people blaming video games for their kids faults. If anything blame the parents for their kids actions.

    Maybe the goverment should spend less time and money on violent video games and concentrate on something more useful

     
  15. ilyad Says:
  16. Honestly, I don’t want to knee-jerk into this.

    I mean, a rating system already exists. However, it is not stopping grandma or aunt something to buy an M rated game for their 5 year old…without realizing it’s rated M…

    The rating sticker for my DVD/Blu-rays, at least where I live, are roughly 10% of one side of the cover. In comparison, on my Mass Effect 2 DVD box, it’s less then half of that.

    Instead of slapping a stupid warning à la cigarettes package, why not make the ratings box larger? Maybe even top right side.

    Just trying to find a compromise to shut these idiots up. Then again, compromise and politician don’t go together…

     
  17. pixeljunk Says:
  18. Really? You think that video games should be labeled like cigarettes? This is complete bull, the “survey” they abuse to back their point up with was done many years ago and was only used on a select group of kids from one school. There is no hard evidence that allows you to point at video games and say “They did it”. If you look at the real problem in all these cases of kids who do something nuts it’s always the same thing and it always gets ignored. There’s always been a negligent parent, or lack of one entirely.

    Even if this passes (highly unlikely it would) I would still buy my “unhealthy” video games, just like I buy my unhealthy cigarettes XD

     
  19. HeroicDose Says:
  20. Yeah, well…it’s that time of year, I guess. It’ll blow over in a few weeks.

     
  21. So first they label video games as pornography and now they label them as cigarettes? I’m liberal like crazy, but someone get this man out of office! What is California coming to these days, this is sad and laughable. No conclusive research states that video games increase aggression. There was one study released recently, but it’s flawed. Most studies actually point towards the conclusion that video games are a good thing.

     
  22. Ronin Says:
  23. This article provides proper evidence that there exists people in our government out of touch with technology and furthermore reality itself. Granted video games are an interactive medium but they’re no more violent then the latest Saw film or your average dose of local news, both of which do not come with any warning about inducing violent behavior.

    Long response short, you need to leave legislation alone regarding current and new technologies and let the next generation of our world’s leaders deal with it. As it stands, we the people say, go fuck yourselves.

     
  24. Shinigamido Says:
  25. so they want to make it a law that you HAVE to lie on your product’s packaging if you want to make teen+ games? wow.. way to go… where is his house so i can blow it up?

     
  26. Mordecai Says:
  27. It seems to me that all the fucking pricks and bullies of my elementary school group up to be politicians cuz this just makes me feel like they are taking my lunch money to let me use the fucking bathroom. News must be dry though if they are going after the good ‘ol scapegoat…
    Lets band together guys, and find out where this person lives and send them a warning, in one single package; a big fat bloody axe…

    Maybe the true fact is that mankind is violent in nature. Just take a TRUE close look at our foreign policy. It cracks me up how easily shitty used car salesman have somehow come into power, “Oh yea, she drives like a beauty, no problems at all” as his breaks fail and his family just shuns him…

     
  28. BigD Says:
  29. Absolute bullshit. A link between playing violent video games and developing a violent behavior is not demonstrably true and has never been demonstrated to be true.

    There is a link between someone pissing you off online and you getting angry, sure, but that’s exactly the same result you’d find between 2 people interacting using ANY medium. Games have absolutely nothing to do with violent children.

    Also, notice this sleaze bag using the term “violent media” when really he’s only talking about games. We’ve had violent movies since cameras were invented and we have nothing but talk of wars and violence on the news, but he’s not worried about that now is he? Who cares that those things are real and look 100% realistic where as violence in video games clearly looks fake? Screw that, let’s just make shit up because we’re politicians.

     
  30. Featherjerk Says:
  31. Again with this crap?! Really? Yes, games have violence in them. So do movies, TV shows, books, magazines, hell even artwork. He makes it sound like developers and publishers are trying to keep the violence a secret from the public, when a quick search on the internet would give anyone all the info they need about a game.
    The thing that really pisses me off about stuff like this, is that they almost never give the people of the industry their attacking (or gamers) a chance to counter their BS. Maybe I’m forgetting one (please let me know if I am), but this just strikes me as yet another excuse to take blame off of parents for allowing their kids to play a violent game, then getting angry because of the content, when they could’ve spent 5 minutes online and seen that its not ment for their 10 year old son.

     
  32. Jabberjawi Says:
  33. I play video games all the time, but when I’m really pissed at someone, or something, or I’m just feeling stressed in general, the first thing I think is “I want to get home, and start playing some vidjama games.”
    To be honest, I got punched in the chest one day, and you know what I did? Nothing. I honestly didn’t care that he had punched me. Would have been more trouble to fight back, so why?

     
  34. Word! I agree! Video games SHOULD carry a health label:

    WARNING! If you play video games you will constantly have to deal being labelled a pariah, causing all the violence in the world and being against the troops.

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets