The Latest

Earlier this week I launched a new blog called GamingSpark over on GameTrailers.com where the point is to initiate (or spark…) some constructive conversation amongst the GT Community about relevant topics going on in gaming. My first post was about Sony and how what appears to be a robust roster of kick-ass exclusives might play a significant role in defining 2011 as “The Year of PlayStation”. 


Of course, I want to know what all of the ‘Henchmen of the world think about this topic as well, so I’m inviting you to check out the blog post here and then sound off on the topic below. How much of a role will Sony’s exclusives play in their overall success over the next 12 months? Do you think Microsoft and Sony are countering with enough to keep things competitive? Are exclusives as big of a factor in console sales as we think?

I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Posted by Lance

15 Comments

  1. Jarrdo Says:
  2. Yes it will be.

     
  3. Wasat Says:
  4. Every year is the year of PS3 as far as I am concerned,.. And stop crying about launch year, it is not like I had much to play on 360 the first year (except COD),.. 360 is a mutiplat console so it is a fail to begin with,.. they have Rare doing fucking stupid avatar clothes,..
    And 2011 is just a damn embarrassingly laughable,.. It looks like a damn joke or a bad nightmare,..They probably had to push Gears back for a year, because they have no games anymore,..
    360 went more casual than Wii ever could be,..

     
  5. Bobbafett Says:
  6. Wow, i havent noticed that :O. I mean, you´re right. Wii has great exclusives like DK, several mario games, metroid, zelda, epic mickey – all games full of diversity and for everyone, as for xbox its gears(shooter), halo(shooter) and alan wake(i would love to play that, damn). Now kinekt…

     
  7. JGR Says:
  8. Maybe, but it’s also the year of PC. Torchlight II, Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 (hopefully), plus of course great multiplatform games as well…

     
  9. Cynic Says:
  10. Of course it will be the year of the PS3. It will save humanity from aliens, stop the world hunger and wars, make the religions go away, cure all neurological diseases and cancer and have children with Golem XIV (a little reference to a Stanislaw Lem book).

    If not, it will still have more better games than Nintendo and Xbox (from what is announced now). And because announcements come 2 years before the release today, I doubt that Nin and Microsoft will pull the magic rabbit from their hat. I think the 3DS will take off with it’s second “lite” version outside of Japan.

     
  11. It’s definitely the year of kick-ass games for anyone lucky enough to have both consoles. Who gives a shit which consoles is winning? Fuck fanboys. Cleaving through the bullshit of gaming also means that stupid dedication to a console.

    PS3 has some awesome core gamer titles this year for sure. 360 has some badass games lined up two and here’s hoping the Kinect will step up its list with some good core games. I have nothing against casual gaming, casual gamers today at the core gamers of tomorrow.

     
  12. onyxChaios Says:
  13. We saw what the Kinect did for the Xbox 360 last year. I think PS3 doesn’t have a chance, its gonna be the Wii all over again with Kinect. The number of casual gamers > hardcore gamers. Hardcore games only have value for people who already have the console. So PS3 just doesn’t have enough hardware to beat the Wii and 360.

     
  14. lobuldo Says:
  15. To get this out of the way, I have all three consoles and I prefer the 360 if it’s a multiplatform game.
    I hope it will be the year of the PS3 because if not the 360 gets an even bigger advantage.
    Seriously, most of the exclusivety deals where for the 360 last year and thats not because they have a smaller userbase then the PS3…

    So I’ll hope for a great year for the PS3 in order to keep the market balanced and all gamers on a killing spree. \ , , /

     
  16. First and foremost, I do believe this Will be the year of Sony, particularly after reading your blog, there were a few Playstation exclusives that I had forgotten about.

    I think that I can use myself as a case study.

    About a half year ago my PS3 went kaput. The optical drive just died on me for no apparent reason. I was bumped of course but I took this as a sign from some higher power that maybe I should be spending more time on my school work (I know, how lame is that?)

    About 2 months ago I decided to finally get the damn thing working again, BECAUSE of all the amazing new exclusives that Playstation was to offer this year. There is also cross console titles that promise to be better on the PS3 ala Portal 2.

    My PS3 was in shop for 2 GOD DAMNED MONTHS. Apparently everything that could go wrong trying to fix it, did in fact happen. I even started to wonder if the same God forces were really trying to show me that my PS3 and me were never meant to be together again.

    While those little fuck monkeys were beating my beloved game system with rocks and sticks at the ‘shop that shall not be named’, I finally decided that my recent college funds would go to better use on finally investing in an XBOX 360. That’s right, like 5 years after launch and I’m finally getting on the Xtrain.
    With titles like Alan Wake, Mass Effect, and don’t forget Rockstar’s Table Tennis (epicness of white balled proportion!), I knew I needed an in.

    So now, FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, I have both a new 360 and my PS3 back were they should be…. in my arms while I sleep.

    And even thought the xbox is newer and I currently am playing on it more to experience the some of the titles mentioned along with Bad Company 2, I can safely say that:
    2011 will be dedicated to my Playstation! We’ve been through a lot together and I can wait to reward with with Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian, Killzone 3, inFamous 2 and others.

    And finally, lets remember the rule of the “Apple”, no not Apple Corporation Apple, but Forbidden Apple Apple….. apple.
    If you don’t have it, and it looks super sexified Totally Awesome Sweet Alabama Liquid Snake greatness, then you will want it. Gamers I think are notorious for perhaps shelling out more cash on things than maybe we should (I’m thinking all those 100 dollar special editions packages).

    The PS3 will be the forbidden apple for all those Xbox owners that were looking for the reason to make the jump into Sony’s immaculately trimmed Japanese hands.

     
  17. TimOverkeeft Says:
  18. This year PS3 has a very good lineup, as it shows up till now. We don’t know however, how many games will be pushed back from those. Only 4 titles that the PS3 has will certainly come out. Those are LBP2, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 and (though its multiplatform) Mass Effect 3. Its highly unlikely, at least thats my guesstamite, that The Last Guardian will come out this year. Not to be mean, thats just a guess. However, we don’t know what Nintendo and Microsoft will do coming year. Remember last years E3? then Nintendo showed A BIG PILE of hardcore oldskool franchise: DK, Kirby etc. etc. and all of them came out in the months that came after it.
    Still that doesnt mean that MS will or will not bring out a shit load of exclusive games. We simply don’t know yet.
    I personally don’t give a rats ass about Kinect, but maybe on that side of gaming (casual) MS might make bigger bucks then Sony, simply because people think that the Move is something they already have (ie. the Wii). Exclusive wise MS at the moment lacks, but it doesnt matter at this point really how many exclusives you have. People have the console(s) that they want. A year or 2 ago Microsoft had a bigger year. It justs goes back and forth between them and Nintendo is the laughing third with the Wii which has sold millions.
    Im not a fanboy, im just seeing it from all sides…
    We dont know what Microsoft has coming for us. Maybe they just have closed the lid on most of the titles that will come out from their hand, or maybe they will buy a couple of studios that is on the brink of needing a publisher…
    We can say if 2011 is the PS3 on the 31st of December…

    But of course the PS3 cannot win of the big ol’ PC!!! AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT ILL TEAR UR GUTS OUT AND STRANGLE YOU WITH THEM!!!!!! RAARGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

     
  19. The Watcher Says:
  20. Every year has been the year for PS3, for me. I cannot understand why people prefer the 360 in N. America, maybe cos it’s American and so patriotic? PS3 is a great machine and a fantastic media hub, plus all of their x-sives kick so much ass. 360 has Halo (which sucks), Gears of War (which is awesome) and Alan Wake (which is a pretty cool 1-shot. No sequel in sight, unfortunately).. PS3 has God of War, Heavy Rain, GT, Uncharted, LBP, Killzone, Resistance, and now they are porting excellent PS2 games in HD… I couldn’t be happier with Sony.

     
  21. Dimensinaut Says:
  22. Is 2011 the year of the PS3? That’s a rhetorical question right? It’s all a matter of opinion I think.

    Will Kinect “connect” more people to 360s, or will the Move “move” people to buy PS3s? I doubt it. Will exclusive software titles sell more hardware? I don’t know, maybe we can ask Nintendo. Most of the games they sell for the Wii are first-party. Who will sell more hardware this year? Anybody’s guess, but considering that more “core” gamers already have a 360 anyway, maybe something like Uncharted3 will give people the idea that they need a blu-ray player for their new HDTV. I mean, what’s the point of having a 60-inch plasma if you can’t watch the latest romantic comedy with your girlfriend (or Star Wars) in high-definition? and hey! what the hell, it’s got a gaming system built-in.

    My honest opinion though? Do I think Sony will sell more hardware than the competition this year? No idea whatsoever, it’s a definite possibility. Will Sony sell more games than the other consoles? I’ll put it this way; I predict Uncharted3 will sell more than any other console-exclusive title before it (by percentage of install base). Yes, Sony will sell more games on discs this year than the other consoles, without a doubt. Does that answer the exclusives as factor question?

    BTW, I don’t go over to the Gears of War pages and talk sh!t about Microsoft, so I would appreciate if the asshats here would show the same respect and take your idiotic flaming comments and thumbs and shove them somewhere.

    @TimOverkeeft. One more for sure this year – Resistance3, and even though there’s not a lot of buzz about it, we should see inFamous2.

     
  23. loyad Says:
  24. Very nice blog post and much more balanced then the responses it will get. I figure most will simply read the title and comment.

    There’s no denying the huge library of exclusives for the PS3 this year and it seems it will win out in this department. However, as Brightman said in the blog post, what about casuals? Will that give an edge to Microsoft? Are exclusives that important?

    I’m thinking about saturation of the market too. I mean most gamers already own a console. If Sony has more exclusives, how many 360 users would fork out the cash and grab a PS3? Are the returns really worth the effort? I’m sure someone in marketing could answer that question…I’m more interested in the logic of it all.

    As a gamer and not a fanboy, I find that exclusives are a huge pain. I’m not rich enough to get three gaming platforms. I own a 360 and a gaming computer (Note: I know I could own a PS3 for the price of a PC gaming rig, but I made my choices, you make yours). It’s frustrating for my wallet. Now, if the prices were to drop and I get a raise…I might consider…

    And unfortunately, this blog entry is fanboy fodder. To which I ask…why be a fanboy? Do you own shares of the company? Do they pay you to be a fanboy and advertise their product? Are you an official employee? Did some girl/guy told you that you’ll get laid if you shovel your bile on the people with a different console then you? If none of the above, why do you care? Why do you funnel rage and hatred for a cause you will not be rewarded for? Do you feel empowered by being a fanboy? If so, I weep for your pathetic life.

     
  25. fmf Says:
  26. I base my opinion on which one have the most exclusivity.In this case PlayStation win with 3 to 1.Mind you I don’t actually see a point of flaunting it though the number to small to really say it the year of any thing to me.I know I know those game are really good games that probably sell a shit load but numerically speaking this is just not enough for me to say this the year of any thing.

     
  27. I couldn’t complain about the amount of quality exclusives and third party games on the ps3 (my main console) in the last few years, but this year there are just way too many comming out!

    I’m going to wait for most of them to drop to 20-30€ pricepoints so i’ll have to play them 6 months after release or so:-(

    I just hope that there will be more unique games than last year and hopefully they won’t disappoint or get delayed to 2012 (LA Noire, The Last Guardian, Catherine,…)

    Oh, i also want some cool Move games, Tumble is a great game!

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets