Offering up more than six hours worth of content on-disc than its PC or 360 brethren, BioWare has made no qualms about saying that the PS3 version of their sci-fi epic, Mass Effect 2, would be the definitive version. Now, PS3 fans have another cause to be excited for this upcoming port, as BioWare has announced that the game will run on the Mass Effect 3 engine.
“We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 on PS3,” producer Jesse Houston said in the BioWare podcast. “So we took the content, the story, and all of the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2, and we put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine.”
The engine isn’t the only thing getting an overhaul in ME2 for PS3, as the controls will be updated for the DualShock 3, and the patches that rolled out for the 360 and PC versions will be “rolled up” into the PS3 version.
Mass Effect 2 has officially gone gold, and will be available next month. If you’d like to see how the new ME3 engine stacks up before then, a demo will be available on PSN on December 21.
via BioWare Podcast
Very nice. Please Bioware, rework all Mass Effect titles.
holy ***! its walter bishop!
this stuff is just incredible! Looks like I’m gonna be buying this game just to check out the animations!!!
Wants in all games!
That’s one big step forward towards photorealism!
The textures make the characters look a bit plastic, but the facial animation is the best i saw so far
Heck, I’d go see this movie… wait… it’s a game? Sweet. What’s it play like?
I am very exited for ME2. When I first heard ME2 was going to PS3 I screamed with joy! I love how Bioware is not just doing a port but taking a lot of time to make it great. It doesn’t hurt too much that it may be the best version of ME2 either
Yesssss, I no longer have access to my old 360 and all my mass effect savegames, so I’m really looking forward to getting my Shepards back up to snuff and getting them all ready for ME3… So psyched
Sounds really good, but as someone that played it on the 360 already I’m a little concerned about them changing the controls. I hope there’s an option for the button mapping. But the rest of that news is amazing. I can’t wait to see what kind of differences the ME3 engine will make.
I will likely get ME2 and ME3 for both systems…if and hopefully when ME1 finally somehow gets a port to the PS3 I will get it as well. Frankly I am rather annoyed that I cannot get ME1 on the PS3.