Welcome to VideoGameHenchmen.com’s DemoUP!, the feature that invites the VGH Community to gather around gaming’s hottest demos to play together and share your reaction. Hopefully the henchmen amongst you have spent some quality time with the recently-released demo for Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, so head below to participate as we DemoUP! and gather your thoughts on the game!
Demo: Mass Effect 2
Platforms: PSN
Demo Release Date: December 21, 2010 | Official Website
Demo Description: In the demo, players will step into the role of the heroic icon of the Mass Effect franchise, Commander Shepard, giving them a chance to experience three of the game’s most memorable, action-packed missions that have helped make Mass Effect 2 G4TV’s Game of the Year, the Xbox 360 Game of the Year from the Spike Video Game Awards, IGN.com and Gamespy.com, and over 15 other Best of 2010 awards to date. This includes the game’s shocking and thrilling opening sequence, the investigation of a planet whose inhabitants have disappeared and a mission to help recruit one of the most memorable characters in the franchise, Mordin Solus, to your squad.
NOW, GO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO, PLAY IT, USE THE COMMENTS TO GIVE THE COMMUNITY YOUR FEEDBACK!
I said impressed because I was, but I’m not picking it up since I’m already invested in the PC version of the game. I liked the way the ME3 engine brought the visuals up, though there were some frame rate issues during the collector attack and the screen tore during the ME1 footage. I think those are things which can be ironed out before final release and if I didn’t own the game I would definitely get it. Quote
I can’t find the demo :’(
It’s in the demo section on the USA PSN. I think if you’re in Europe it’s out a little later. If you’re in Australia then I have no idea.
Still waiting for my net to pick up and finish the dl, looking forward to great things though. Have already invested massive amounts of hours on the 360 version but I’m still considering picking this up for PS3. Can’t wait to do it all again!
here are HD screenshots comperesing from Masseffect 2 (720p) both PS3 and 360
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=25602
The Mass Effect logo got me thinking it was over after Shepard was thrown out the ship so that was funny.It was pretty long compare to a lot of demos.During the customization screen I felt it wasn’t that good on a graphical level.Probably cause all the hair look like a animal died on the character head.When the in game cut scenes started it looked much better though.I didn’t get that much in to the finer mechanics but it played well.Only issue I can complain about is the circular menu was to sensitive and made it difficult to pick guns and other stuff.I was getting use to it by the end though so that will fade over time.
THE DEAL
I hope it is fixed for the full release of Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 but the demo left me glad I had a Xbox 360 to experience my favorite game before the Xbox red ringed on me.
The enhanced visuals are fantastic, but really it just seemed smoothed out and shinier. The colors pop a little more as well, but the character models don’t seem too much more detailed to be considered a leap. I really hope that the 360 version of Mass Effect 3 holds up with the PS3 visually when they are released.
THE BAD
The framerate of the demo was very sub par. In the very beginning watching the Normandy flying through space it actually seemed like individual frames showing up.
There was some screen tearing in the very beginning, although I can’t remember the exact spot.
There was what I think was a visual glitch during the escape sequence at the beginning when Shepard is getting Joker the hell off the ship, I recalled seeing a close up of their faces in the Xbox version but your looking through a control panel holo in the demo.
Audio glitches happend for me where I would hear random gun shots, or when I would pick up ammo the sound of picking it up would delay. When I was hacking once the sound cut out.
THE CHANGES
In the original game after you wake up and miranda tells you what to do there are various data pads and hackable machines around the level. I noticed the very first machine you encounter no longer requires a hack and soon after the point you use overload for the first time a hackable data pad was completely removed from the level.
At the beginning of the Mordin level in the demo when you first start you meet these guys behind a barrier that shoot at you. In the original game they let you pass, and one guy even says be careful or something at least in my game they did.
VERDICT
I am still going to check this out when it is released because I enjoy the game and the enhanced visuals are great. I also want to check out the little recap comic that will come in the PS3 version. The beginning of the Demo was great as it even came with a nice little movie recapping the first game.
Overall the story is what matters to me and with this demo you get a nice little taste of what encompasses the Mass Effect Universe in the 2nd game. Visuals are wonderful and gameplay is awesome, audio problems aside.