The Latest



Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi’s latest project with Sega is Binary Domain, a sci-fi, squad-based shooter for Xbox 360 and PS3.

But don’t let its cold exterior fool you–amid all the hardware and wires lies a deep plot line about humanity and life:

“When you hear sci-fi you may think of cold, clinical environments but with Binary Domain I wanted to combine this with a deep human drama,” commented Toshihiro Nagoshi. “The keyword we have in mind for this project is ‘Life’. I wanted to make something that will be accepted by both the Japanese and Western markets, and this fundamental theme is something everyone knows but which the full extent of can be difficult to grasp.”
Binary Domain will feature an “innovative AI” system in the hostile battlefield of Tokyo in the year 2080. Players will use strategy to plot their way across desolated streets filled with robot armies below a flourishing, technologically-advanced high-rise city.

Check out the debut trailer here. Does Binary Domain look like a fresh approach to the robot apocalypse storyline, or has Skynet struck again?

Posted by Anonymous

5 Comments

  1. Left4DeadFan Says:
  2. Fresh approach to robot apocalypse? I don’t know, they’re all pretty much the same for me.
    Killing robots in a game is a weird thing in general. I mean, you might feel a little bit discomfort shooting children or women or your team-mate for some reason, but robots? People don’t care about them in real life, in video-games it’s downright boring. I don’t know, I’m not a big fan of killing robots.
    As for the actual setting and all that, it looks really good. Drama between characters, not so much.
    Also, why guns? Do robots really need guns? They can probably run, jump and kick a lot faster and stronger than a human being. So, picking up a gun and marching towards an enemy slowly seems quite a waste.
    Never understood that part. These are robots, they’re machines and generally machines are quite endurable. This thing is taking place in the future and you’re telling me they haven’t invented a metal what can stop a bullet? We have that now, not even metal, but just vests and stuff. Up close and personal seems to be the only feasible option to me.
    I’m probably going too much into this. :P Let’s wait and see what it has to offer.

     
  3. FiirkRag Says:
  4. I can see it having some deep story behind those layers of mediocrity, generic premise and stereotyped characters.

    The question is, will I able to look past all that?
    I guess it will depend on the game-play… we’ll see.

     
  5. DavidKennedy Says:
  6. This looks like it will be a rip off of Left 4 Dead. It will also most likely be another epic fail for Sega.

    Why are the robots so inaccurate? And why is that chick carrying a pistol? Do the ladies ever get to wear the same amount of armor as the guys in these games?

    “Let the good times roll.” Plz.

     
  7. Gaddmeister Says:
  8. Segas only contribution to modern games was the Empire total war, Valkyria Chronicles II, Bayonetta, Super Monkey Ball 2, Earthworm Jim and phantasy star, otherwise they have completely dropped the ball on creating memorable characters, events and in all seriousness, a good game…

    Where is the creativity they had before… sometimes i wish time would just rewind so i could play my old favorite games again without thinking ‘god this is old, yet still so good…’

    Sega, ive got a tip for ya… If your holding a bad gameidea in your hand and you know its bad, dont make a game out of it. Use the most single destructive device created by man to destroy those abominations… and those ugly ties… the paper shredder.

     
  9. I would like to see a Gears of War clone that is different. Like Vanquish is different and has different elements of gameplay. I think the concept could be cool if the characters did not see to be having fun with the robot apocalypse. The lip sync needs to be a lot better. I am interested in learning more.

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets