The Latest

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Developer: Ninja Theory
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Platform(s): Xbox 360, Playstation 3
Release Date: October 5, 2010

In an industry that is currently thriving off of First Person Shooters and online Multiplayer, it's a breath of fresh air to see a developer step outside of the box and create an emotionally, riveting single player experience that challenges the boundaries between video games and modern entertainment. Ninja Theory has done just that, with their latest release, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, which hit US and UK stores this past week.

Story

Being a developer who is known for their stories, Ninja Theory made sure to not take any shortcuts, hiring screenwriter Alex Garland, who's work includes 28 Days Later and Sunshine, to pen a script loosely based off of the ancient Chinese novel, Journey to the West. In the novel, Sun WuKong, or Monkey, is a disciple of the Buddhist Monk, Xuanzang, and is described as a very violent and rebellious individual. The only way to control him, is by placing a magical gold band around his head, which causes severe headaches whenever Xuanzang chants the Tightening-Crown spell. 

The underlying plot of Journey to the West is present in Enslaved, however most of it has been given a sort of modern twist, to better ground the story in reality. The magic has been swapped for technology, the gold band replaced with a mechanical head dress, and the Tightening-Crown spell is now just a very simple voice command feature. The highlight of the game, however, is not the parallels to Chinese novels, it's the characters we follow along this odyssey to the West.

Enslaved tells the tale of Monkey and Trip. Two very different people who happen to be caught in the same situation, trapped aboard a flying, slaver vessel owned by a mysterious group known only as Pyramid, and headed for an unknown destination. Trip manages to escape her containment cell and in the process of leaving unlocks Monkey's cell as well. It's not too long before we see both of our heroes hurtling towards the ground in an escape pod, not knowing the dangers that lay ahead. 


See, the interesting thing about Enslaved is that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic America, however this is a very different setting than most gamers are used to. Unlike most post-apocalyptic games, in which the color pallet consists of brown, brown and more brown, Enslaved is more of a, as Ninja Theory calls it, "post post-apocalytpic" setting, a world in which humans are gone and nature has been allowed to run its course. Cities have become lush forests, with buildings covered in vines and flowers. Colors are rich and vivid and almost fantastical at some points, and while the game has some very beautiful moments, within that beauty lies a horrendous beast, and in Enslaved's case it's Mechs. 

In the not too distant past, a war broke out in which mechs fought against mechs, and while we never get a true explanation of what happened or why the world is the way it is, you can deduce that some bad stuff went down. Now, 150 years later, mechs are still scattered across America, dormant and waiting for something to trip their sensors so that they can fight again.

Before I go off on any more tangents about the story, which as you can tell has many different layers to it, let me get back on track and say that Enslaved does story right. The characters are some of the best in a video game this year, and I'd dare say that the only people who can match or better Ninja Theory would probably be Naughty Dog with the Uncharted series. Monkey is superbly acted by the ever talented Andy Serkis, you may know him as Gollum from Lord of the Rings, and even Trip, voiced by Lindsey Shaw, turned out to be a very likable and believable character. The late introduced Pigsy also provides for some very clever and funny comic relief as the game draws to its surprising close. The implementation of mo-cap, which was co-directed by Andy Serkis, adds that extra layer of believability to the characters and really helps to bring a human touch to the animations. All in all, if you're looking for story, Enslaved is by no means a disappointment, and the ending is definitely worth the wait.


Gameplay


Throughout Enslaved, you'll play as Monkey with an AI controlled Trip accompanying you through most encounters. The game is a pretty even split between platforming, environmental puzzles, and hand to hand, or should I say hand to mech, combat.


When I first started the game, I though the controls were a bit off. Monkey is only able to climb up certain objects, limiting the amount of exploration available to the player. However, what first seemed to be an annoying control scheme, later turned out to be a very intelligent and deliberate choice in game design. Platforming and moving around the environment is very straightforward and pretty easy. Monkey will latch onto the nearest hand hold and there really isn't much skill needed to climb up obstacles. However, making this very automatic climbing mechanic actually helped the pacing and flow of the game, allowing the player to move quickly from section to section and not have to worry about falling off the edge. Some may complain that it is too simplistic, but looking back, I'm glad Ninja Theory designed the platforming the way they did. Environmental puzzles are also well designed and present a very fun and challenging situation. At no point did I feel frustrated by any puzzle in the game, which is always a big plus, I want to be challenged but don't make something near impossible to complete.


The combat in Enslaved is something of a mixed bag. It has it's high and low points, and some may enjoy it, while others may think it is too shallow and feel like there should've been more. The main mechanic in the game is Monkey's staff. There are a small number of light and heavy attacks that can be performed as well as a stun attack. Monkey can even channel plasma bursts out of the staff providing a short 3rd person shooter aspect as well. However, that's about it in terms of combat. There is a small upgrade system in which, through Trip, Monkey can upgrade his health, shields, plasma bursts as well as purchase a few moves and counter attacks, but that's about it. In my own opinion, Enslaved's combat is by no means at the depth of a game like Bayonetta, but the moves provided feel like they are enough to get the job done, and at no point did I really feel like I needed more moves to pull off. Does it make the combat a little repetitive? Yes, in certain cases, but like I said, it doesn't get to the point where you're simply tired of doing the same moves over and over.

There are some interesting sequences in which Monkey rips off the arm of a turret mech and uses that to start blasting away at enemies. Also, the parts of the game where Monkey is able to use his Cloud, another reference to the Chinese novel, and glide across the environment are extremely fun and challenging sequences that provide a nice change from the combat and platforming.


While the gameplay may not be perfect, it gets the job done and propels the story forward, which is really the main focus of the game, and it shows. If Ninja Theory could tighten up the gameplay and provide a little more variety and still have the amazing story they would truly have something special on their hands. Unfortunately Enslaved's gameplay falls a little short from spectacular.


HOW DOES IT LOOK? Enslaved is by no means a bad looking game. Some environments, particularly the lush green locales, look better than others, and while it may not win any awards the game is still very pleasing to the eyes. I think where it shines the most is in its character design and facial modeling. Like I said earlier, other than Naughty Dog and maybe Valve, I can't think of a company that does facial capture better than Ninja Theory. The subtle facial twitches and lip-syncing are spot on, and character's looks and movements are superbly crafted.

HOW DOES IT SOUND? The sound design for Enslaved is very gritty and real, from the movement of mechs to the environmental textures. Everything sounds the way it looks and nothing seems strange or out of place. On top of that, the score is excellently composed. There are a couple tracks near the end, as well as the closing credits song, that are some of the best I've heard this year. They do a good job of conveying and adding to the emotions playing out on screen and just add that extra little layer to the overall experience.


HOW DOES IT PLAY? While it may not be the most robust or revolutionary combat system, Enslaved does what it has to do to get the job done. Monkey, for the most part, is very responsive and while it may take a little time to get used to, I think the controls are very fitting for the style of game and what Ninja Theory tried to accomplish.

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST? Enslaved will last you a good 10+ hours depending on how you play the game. If you are the type of gamer who actively seeks out every nook and cranny for collectibles, like myself, then you should have no problem reaching that 10+ mark. However, if you were blazing through the game, I can definitely see this being around the 8 to 9 hour mark for all you Speedy Gonzalez's out there. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the old phrase, "bang for your buck." Personally, I felt like Enslaved deserved the 60 bucks. It provided me with one of the best single player experiences of this year, and I couldn't have asked for more. You can tell that Ninja Theory put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this project and it's nice to see them pioneering the story-telling aspect of video games.


HOW IS IT PRESENTED? Enslaved is a game to be experienced, start to finish. From the vivid, larger than life color pallet, to the gripping and emotional journey the characters experience, it's a true testament to the fact that video games can be more than just video games.


Final Verdict:

Enslaved is by no means a perfect game, it probably won't win any GOTY awards, and may not make many people's Top Ten Lists of the year. However, what it does right should be highly noted by other developers within the industry. Ninja Theory is pioneering video games as a storytelling medium, much along the same lines as film and television. They are showing that video games can be used to tell grand, epic adventures, and aren't contained to just high octane shooters. If you're like me, and you enjoy a great story every once in a while, then Enslaved is definitely a game to pick up.

 Highly Recommended If You Like A Good Story

Posted by Jacob

46 Comments

  1. LiveandDie Says:
  2. Might check this game out.

     
  3. Must get but only after Castlevania: LoS.

    Will there be a video review for this though?

     
  4. bigbacon87 Says:
  5. Sweet. The demo convinced me it was worth a look, now I know I won't be wasting my money next week. Heavenly Sword was fantastic I'm looking forward to this one for sure.

     
  6. esquire21 Says:
  7. they should of just made heavenly sword 2...and they already f@cked up Devil may cry...,

     
  8. Looks GREAT

     
  9. ICYDEATH Says:
  10. There aren't a whole lot of good games like this these days. Might be worth checking out.

     
  11. Shotokanguy Says:
  12. Iwas interested in this game when I realized how great the narrative looked. I'll check it out even if the gameplay isn't as good.

     
  13. Zerooverone Says:
  14. anyone else thinks that the character was designed after the 'monkey king or son gokou'?

     
  15. AaronKnuts Says:
  16. @ ZeroOverOne

    The game is based on Odyssey to the West.

    A 400year old book, that has seen countless interpretation in contemporary media. Dragonball being one of them.

    So in effect Monkey King, Son Gokou and Monkey are all based on one character.

     
  17. breeba Says:
  18. I was looking forward to this game, and I'm glad to see that it's good.

     
  19. bipolarxxx Says:
  20. yea, i was also hoping this game was good. something new for once.

     
  21. HDK0000129 Says:
  22. You'd think given that they made heavenly sword on PS3 they could smooth out glitches and frame rate issues. What's with bad PS3 ports? Its really getting annoying.

     
  23. CandyHam Says:
  24. Played the PS3 demo... so bad compared to Uncharted 2. Just not up to par. And considering that these people made Heavenly Sword, the graphical/performance issues are totally unacceptable. I'm finished with Ninja Theory until further notice.

     
  25. duo09109 Says:
  26. http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=b431ca5b3fa29ad7cb53 e91a19074f1e guys go to that link and sign up so I can win Razer gear pretty please? :P

     
  27. Well..that's actually surprising. Considering they worked on the PS3 exclusively for so long I can't believe they'd make a shoddy port like this. Oh well...I got it for my 360 anyway. And strange as it seems Konomi's Castlevania game play's better on the PS3...(at least the review code, from what I've read. which should be fixed on the 360 by release.)

    So i'll stick to the way I had the games to begin with..PS3 for Castlevania and 360 for Enslaved. Can't wait to start playing them.

    @candy...

    Wouldn't compare the game to Uncharted...besides the fact that it's a multiplatform game and should't be held to the same graphical standards..it's also a completely different type of game.

     
  28. JohnnyJoe Says:
  29. To everyone complaining about the little bugs:

    Making a game is an expensive, expensive endeavour. It's entirely possible they ran out of funds, or budgeted their funds to focus more on a great overall experience than one that is completely flawless under scrutiny. As gamers, we should be able to look past little bugs and hiccups. Otherwise, we will only ever be playing expensive, same-y sequels to blockbuster games from big studios.

     
  30. gamerx782 Says:
  31. this game looks less impressive compared to the new castlevania game however we must be gullible and buy games only ign approves of.lol I really get the impression that castlevania will be a great game despite a unfair review because the creators did the samething many game studios do and that is to takeout positives from other games and add them to their own games.I believe castlevania has been given unfair reviews ever since they changed from 2d to 3d and in my opinion the 3d games are just as good.This game enslaved will not be better than castlevania

     
  32. azzalin Says:
  33. meh. only heard about this game last week and ive already got castlevania, fallout, fable and vanquish on reserve for this month. Perhaps i'll pick it up when there isnt so much else coming out.

    i am kinda miffed at how a game with subpar gameplay gets a good score because it has a decent story (with a crappy ending) and amazing facial animations in cutscenes though. Seems like gameplay should take more of a leading role in a review..... thats just my opinion though.

     
  34. krssfire Says:
  35. Definitely getting this even if only for the story. Get it at Kmart from Oct 5th - 16th and you get a $25 game coupon with it.

     
  36. Latnok29 Says:
  37. This game sure does have alot of problems yet it still got an 8 which leads me to think this must be a great game to play.

    I haven't read a review in a while where they state for a fact there are so many bugs in a game and it wasn't the downfall of the score.

    I'll play it for sure, maybe not now since fallout new vegas is coming out and other games too such as EA MMA and two worlds 2 but perhaps next summer I'll play it.

     
  38. Neosword Says:
  39. They picked an awful time to release this. Who would choose this over Clos?? Not to mention all the other great looking titles due out this month. I'll probally pick this up next year when theres nothing else out for a while. You would think ninja theory would be able to make a game that doesnt have lag inputs, after everyone complained about it on HS. It cant be that hard to do. Im kind of bummed theyre doing the next DMC, capcom shoulda kept it inhouse.

     
  40. Graydragon98 Says:
  41. Gamefly rental for sure. No way I'll waste my money on buying it.

     
  42. Phantomrxz Says:
  43. I played the demo and found that it's controls were not the best and it kinda turned me off. I did find the story interesting but i can't warrant this a full price buy with all the heavy hitters that are out.

    I also think this should not be higher then castlevania because granted it is god of vania but its a damn pretty game and its controls are nice. But that is the thing different people equal different scores which is why you read the review

     
  44. Elgranpimp Says:
  45. I still want to play through this one but I don't think it will be a buy fro me until the price goes down.

     
  46. ArchangelL77 Says:
  47. My only concern is that it is 10-12 hours long which is about the same length as Heavenly Sword. It seems like a good game, but I might wait until the price drops.

     
  48. Emergence13 Says:
  49. I thought the demo was awesome, Now I can't wait to get this...

     
  50. rasjahbu Says:
  51. lame ass game!...next!

     
  52. Is this game really better than Castlevania LoS?

     
  53. megaphilx Says:
  54. Doesn't look promising for the next Devil May Cry. : (

     
  55. Uggh..

     
  56. mosanmann Says:
  57. I loved the demo and though it may not be the next Uncharted its still gonna be a blast. A review score of an 8.0 is pretty good I mean think of budgets. The higher the budget, higher the review score... in most cases.

     
  58. eldaya Says:
  59. before i played the demo i was like whatever this is crap, after i played the demo i felt in love with it.

     
  60. sanzee Says:
  61. Jacob, perfect review man, well-written, well-explained (benefits and negative aspects of the game), and above all I felt the review was completely fair. One day doing all these reviews will pay off happy

     
  62. 666magic Says:
  63. Didnt notice loose controls in the demo. Cant comment about the frame rate because the demo didnt have alot going on at once

     
  64. Batman115 Says:
  65. In the demo, there was an issue with lip syncing. They would speak first and then the lips would move which was rather annoying. I didn't expect this great of a review for the game esp since the graphics were not par on with what NT did with Heavenly Sword. Also, they should make HS2 with improved graphics!

     
  66. TamiasMGS Says:
  67. Loved the demo, love the concept. Day one purchase for me. It'll be nice to have something to do between Reach and Fable III.

     
  68. Mrsolodolo Says:
  69. Great review. I liked the loose controls in the demo, Because it fit's this type of game. Ninja Theory has done a really great job with the visuals and acting.

     
  70. JasonBean7 Says:
  71. Good review. I'll probably pick this one up instead of Castlevania.

     
  72. Live and Die Says:
  73. Might check this game out.

     
  74. Karaokegod Says:
  75. I played the demo and well and while some here may not have liked it, I found it interesting enough. This review seals it for me. I'm going to give this full version a try. Had a bit of an 'Uncharted 2' feel to (gameplay-wise). So it already had me there.

     
  76. Kolker12 Says:
  77. Yes, I love story heavy games. Don't know if I wanna pay 60 bucks for this, but I definitely want to play through it at some point

     
  78. Watchmerambo Says:
  79. Yes, I preordered and paid for this game yesterday. After playing the demo it could of gotten a 5 out of 10 I'd still play it. The part were you talked about the platforming being on auto-pilot was actually alot better compared to all the games I've played where I died in stupid platforming sections. I prefer it that way.

     
  80. Rocker0824 Says:
  81. video review please!

     
  82. i loved the demo and i had to add to the list.(the games i want list) maybe ninja theory is becoming one of the premier developer.

     
  83. Dan502 Says:
  84. Yet another game with framerate issues on the PS3. And this is coming from a company that made a launch exclusive for the PS3. Get it together, devs!

     
  85. Mr.Ziich Says:
  86. Loose, unresponsive controls and uninteresting combat? This does NOT bode well for Devil May Cry.

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets