It's hard to fill the shows of Bethesda's Fallout 3, but Obsidian Games takes a good whack at it in their game. Interestingly, Obsidian is comprised of many of the people who were in the "Black Isle Studio," the studio behind Fallout 1 and 2.
*Disclaimer: I have not beaten the game in it's entirety yet, however I've played enough to form a decent opinion on the game.*
![]() |
| "Mr. Courier, surprised to see me?" |
Story: The basic story is that your a courier (what's with being a courier in games nowadays ie InFamous? It's a fancy term for being a Mailman! Next we'll see games about "Sanitation Technicians" don't know what it is look here.) Sorry for that rant... anywho your a courier that gets caught by Matthew Perry who takes your magical platninum poker-chip, shot in the head, and Left 4 Dead in a desert grave. A stalker robot named Victor, who you later learn has the power of Agent Smith from the Matrix and can hop from Securitron to Securitron, digs you up and tells you to find Benny. During your journey you learn of two main factions: "The New California Republic" or NCR and "Caesar's Legion" and ultimately join a side and fight in a mega battle between the two over the Megatron's holding place, Hoover Dam. I like the story of this game, however when compared to Fallout 3, nothing beats the epicness of first emerging from Vault 101 and the ensuing story of the game, full of Love, betrayal, ever adorable Dogmeat, and Liam Neeson.
| "Don't you have better things to do, Chandler :|" |
Setting/Graphics: Possibly the most crucial element of the entire game is how Las Vegas was never directly hit by any of the bombs. All destruction in the buildings and environment is caused by ensuing conflicts between factions, lack of upkeep, etc. Unlike 3 they is much more plant life, however the game does take place in a desert so it is limited. Graphically speaking though, the game is run off of the same engine. Thus being identical to Fallout 3, meaning that all character models, environment, caves, buildings, literally everything looks the same. It slightly disappointing to know that in 2 years they couldn't have had any graphical improvements.
Sound: Like Fallout 3, many of the music in game is the same. The Mojave is still an overall silent wasteland, and when combat picks the music changes the mood to an adrenaline rush chaotic mess. While I was never hugely popular of the Pip-Boy's radio in 3 or New Vegas, I know many are. So from my unbias opinion in regards to radio I feel that 3 was much better with a larger variety and more catchier tunes. As being in the West, many songs on the radio have a "country" twang to them, which after a while got slightly annoying.
| The brand new companion wheel for efficiency. |
New Tricks: New Vegas is slightly more than a glorified DLC pack. New Vegas inroduces an all new "Hardcore" mode, in which the player will need to regularly eat, drink, and sleep, or otherwise face negative consequences...mainly meaning death. In addition ammo has weight making you only take what is necessary instead of the typical "horde all ammo possible." Also Compnaions are unkillable outside Hardcore mode and an all new "companion wheel" pops up when you talk to a companion, it honestly doesn't really add anything new, but just provides a simpler way to get your companions to access commands. In addition, there are new types of ammunition and items that can be made at a new type of workbench. While new food and health related items can be made at a "campfire."Combat wise the game feels much more fluid and in New Vegas I don't feel as if I NEED to use VATS to simply kill a molerat.
![]() |
| Now I just look and shoot the bastard. |
| What game has Machete, Chandler, Hellboy, That girl from the Gauntlet and Wayne Newton combined? This one. |
However the most important thing about the game, is as of now there are many glitches in the game. I'll brag though that I personally haven't had any issues yet, but just playing with John, he's had to restart his game 3-4 times because his save file keeps becoming corrupt due to various glitches in the game. There's even a point in the game where you can talk to a guy and get infinite experience, stimpacks, and doctor' bags from a guy. There are many kinks in this game that really should have ben worked out before release. As Kotaku said in their review: "Fallout: New Vegas will ask each and every one of you a very simple question: If a game breaks every 10 minutes, can you still enjoy it?"
HOW DOES IT LOOK?
Graphically speaking the same thing, with many items being directly ripped out of 3. Setting wise, there is a little more "life" in the game as Vegas was spared the fate of the Capital Wasteland.
HOW DOES IT SOUND?
Once again, almost mirrors Fallout 3, with a more country twist. Also Neeson > Perry imo...
HOW DOES IT PLAY?
If you can get past the numerous bugs, that I fortunately haven't had but heard from other people, *knocks on wood* the game is an extremely fun game, if you love 3 you'll love New Vegas. However if you didn't like Fallout 3 I would stay away.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
I've played so far for about 20 hours and I don't feel I'm even nearing the end. This game will give many hours of playtime.
HOW IS IT PRESENTED?
Once again, almost in the exact same way as Fallout 3, but with just enough new features to keep the game fresh.
| See ya' in Vegas! |
*FINAL VERDICT*
With enough improvements and game-play to make it more than just a DLC pack similar to what Bethesda did for Oblivion and The Shivering Isles, New Vegas is a very enjoyable game. Like I said earlier, if you loved Fallout 3 you'll love New Vegas. Unless your lucky like I apparently am, New Vegas may make you want to make you pull a few hairs out. I love this game and it gets the official "Evan Approves" status.BUY this game if you absolutely loved Fallout 3, however if your new to this game WAIT for the patch that is hopefully coming soonish. Overall a great game and worth the 60 bucks.
Don't forget to comment below and check out the forums for more discussion.



0 Comments