
Hey everybody! It's another day here at the VGH office and we got Front Mission: Evolved for the PS3, and I am here to tell you my hands-on impressions, regarding the game and what I thought about it from first impressions.
| The opening scene was pretty hectic, and intense. JUST LIKE YO MOMMA boom! |
The game began with the invasion of New York in what seems to be the beginning of Wanzer configuration. The main controls are your standard third person shooter action but there are two different forms of boosting that comes with it; a quick running dash or a prolonged boost. The latter is a toggle and I guess you can say pretty much allows the Wanzer to move in any direction without any really worry for physic problems. With this, include a jump that requires a bit of momentum and mass management, (Which is just plain awkward). Weapons were in a pod, that was potent, and the standard wazer machine guns, and not to mention a melee attack device.
| Nothing like the smell, of fresh oil in the morning. |
Well when you look at it, on the content board or when ideas are brought into the game. This should all sound fine but the execution is really quite aggravating and sadly, annoying. Have to ground boost and then having differentiate the approach so that you can jump is just plain dumb, as you are trying to battle out the two physics systems in the game controlling your Wanzer. (Yeah, two!) The weapons, especially the standard machine gun, do still feel and sound like as if you are firing air pellets half the time as most of the standard A.I. enemies seem to just "Oh, your firing at me? I don't think so." *BLAM!* and they absorb it like a sponge.
| Coming out of Vault 101 LULZ. |
So, I guess to explain the boosting, having Sam, (Dude, with power armor) in Platinum Games Vanquish slide all the way over to the next level at freaking 160mph speed and with pin-point accuracy and precision is pretty crazy outside of gaming standards but it makes more literal and figurative sense than a very massive huge piece of machinery doing the exact similar idea, yet Doubel Helix are treating their Wanzer's as if they are people? I mean, it would be "okay" if they would have stuck to the that approach but sadly they did not. So at the end, the handling of the mech's were very inconsistent.
Also another down point for this game, is that graphically is very sub-par. Some parts of the game actually looked fantastic with awesome 3-D rendering, shadows, lanscape, models of the wanzers are just awesomely done but the texturing is pretty pathetic for the most part. (This includes most of the environment and background.) The designs of the level is artificial boxed in and well, it does not have a sense of feel like your fighting a intense street battle at any random point, which is from what I have been noticing what they have had in mind.
| Mecha Brawl! |
Overall, this was sad and unfortunate. What we expected as a game that is full of mech's and strategy turned into an embarrassment of the fact that it is one. This is not a damning indictment of Western mech games either, as High Moon already proved it could actually be great and done well. Front Mission Evolved is sadly neither great or done well and just a big dissappointment.
| ZANGIEF IS NOT IMPRESSED. |
I will continue playing the game, and give you my full written review in a week or so. Other than that, if you want more information regarding Front Mission Evolved check us out in the forums!
i don’t have high hopes for the single player, but at least the multiplayer looks pretty decent.
Dam and i preorderd the bloody thing.
That’s pretty much how the on-machine portion of FM Evolved works…and it’s pretty similar to the on-foot segments. This would be tolerable (at least in single-player) if Double Helix kept the things that Front Mission is known for. But, with no permanent squad whose units can’t be customized, can’t be killed in combat, and no means of AI control, it doesn’t stand out of the crowd. It’s ironic how FM Gun Hazard back in 1996 had all of these, yet Evolved does not.
The multiplayer is better than single player, but even that has problems. Aside from the online bugs, for reasons unknown ranked matches (where you can earn new parts) are completely randomized. If you and 7 other friends want to play in a match, chances are none of you will be playing the same one. You can play with them in non-ranked matches, but you can’t earn new gear here. Multi-player does have its strong points and as a former FM Online player, it’s nice to play with the same people again. It would have been nice if the player cap was at Online’s levels instead of 4v4 though.
FM Evolved isn’t a horrible game by any means (it’s pretty good for Double Helix standards), but it feels lacking compared to the other 2 action-based FM spin-offs. Gun Hazard had a better single-player campaign, and Online had a better multi-player experience. It’s a 7/10 game at best, good enough for a rental but not a must-buy.
Well said–that’s pretty much what I’ve been hearing about the game itself. Good for a rental, but not a must-buy.
Sadly this confirms what I was expecting , sigh. I hope they will make a sequel to 0081 on the ps3 and add more realistic weapon damage, than i’m done
I think everyone expected this, I know I did, hopefully this will mean a real FM game gets made for ps3, FM6 say, of course Id have to wait 6 years for a translation, but it be worth the wait, unlike this rubbish here.
Game Informer already reviewed the game, and it pretty much had similar views to what was mentioned here.
That said…I would give the game a rental, just to try it out. Not ready to spend the full price for it, mind you, but for most games now I’d rather rent first to see what’s up.
Still, thanks much for keeping us informed about this game, since it seems to have been under the radar here in the States.
Maybe they’ll get it right next time. But hey, nobody’s perfect.