Publisher: EA
Developer: BioWare
Genre(s): Role-Playing Game
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: M (Mature)
Release Date: March 8, 2011
Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
Official Website
GAME SUMMARY:
Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.
[Dragon Age Official Site]
What’s GOOD in DA2:
- Combat System
- Graphics, new models for NPC
- Talent System
- Crafting
What’s BAD in DA2:
- Story
- Fanboys of DAO will be disappointed with DA2, it just doesnt feel Dragon Age
- Exploration
- Dialogue with your companions is Pre-Determined
- A LOT of Mass Effect 2 influences can be found in DA2
I’m only a few hours in but I’m really enjoying it. At 6 hours I’m totally hooked.
DA2 has taken pretty much everything I would expect from a Bioware game and left it all on the cutting room floor. The combat is completely un-tactical as enemies just swarm you in waves. The environment is incredibly repetitive and you’ll find yourself in the same cut and paste areas again and again. The story is near completely linear though there are a very few things that can mix up the mid game a bit, but the endings aren’t varied at all. Gear has been simplified and the only person who can change the armor for is Hawk. The toolset for the game was not released so users can not create their own modifications/addons for the game this time around, which is a first for Bioware. The camera is terrible and does not allow you to fully zoom out anymore. There are numerous bugs, including a glitch where on Nightmare enemy rogues will steal health potions from you ever time they back stab. Enemies are all the same and the only thing that makes Elite enemies more challenging is that they use health potions. I honestly have no idea how it is being rated at an 84 on metacritic right now. I love Bioware, but this is by far the worst game they have ever made and EA’s influence and oversight is becoming more and more obvious.
Very, very disappointed with DA2. It seems my fears were correct, making the game with a console controller in mind killed it for me. The interface is much too simple, the combat is way too streamlined, the challenge is almost gone, the story is not nearly as gripping as DOA, the characters are much less interesting…. I played about 8 hours of the game and stopped. I’m taking it back tomorrow, this is, imo, the first ever dud from Bioware.
If done right, like in Mass Effect 2, the game could be made more streamlined and still be an improvement over the original, but DA2 doesn’t feel like DA, there is something vital missing… really hope this doesn’t translate to, or indicate, the level of quality that ME3 will posses.
I kind of had the same vibe from this game, played about 7 hours in & personally I think it’s because It is just not what I was hoping for in DA:II, I was expecting a more classic rpg experience like the first rather than a streamlined action rpg one. Just preference I suppose but I think everyone has to agree this sequel will not have nearly the same impact DA:O had on the rpg library.
What’s bad?
The influence the consoles have had on a previously solid franchise… yeah, one game and it was solid, now they’ve muddled it trying to enthral the COD players. Idiots.
The removal of the isometric camera is inexcusable. It’s the way the game should be played, yet it’s not there. They give you this other camera with which you can place a high angle, but it’s not nearly the same as the piece of shit is never moving around correctly and seems to reset to down low more often than not. Fucking shit.
No mod tools on release day. Apparently these are coming. Once they do I hope to see an iso mod to make this game even remotely playable.
I’ve barely played it because of its current state. I’m hoping the modders can fix it.
I think the best way to say how good it is is to say it pretty good if you never play the first one.You have to bump the difficulty up to hard though.Other wise you dont need to use the pause and play but even then friendly fire is off.This and many other smaller things annoy the older fans.
Graphically it not superior to the first it a different art style.Honestly I like this one in that regard.Though at time some of it looks off.
It control similar to the first.The first didn’t have perfect control or party AI this one no different.There be more the a few time where your character just ignore your order or just stand there But it shouldn’t be much of a problem and i kind of find it funny.
Story wise i dont know yet.The over lining plot haven’t really show it self yet.Though it is giving hint what going on with the chantry but not sure how big it is.Writing and the inter active choice for dialog tree have some issues.Some choices dont seem like the represent theyer designated emotional passion.
I generally think it people attachment of the first one that keeping people from enjoying this one.Though i would like many part from the first one to carry over to this one but i will not let it get to me.
So…from what I’ve seen it seems a lot of people(or at least people who liked the first game) thinks bioware has gone towards the more “Fable-esque” root with this sequel, keeping it fast passed & with flashy & fun combat. I think this is a great idea for an rpg but I wonder, do you think this game would have done better or worse if it wasn’t titled as Dragon age II??
Opinions???
I am 12 hours in so here is what I think:
The Good
The conversation system works and you character talks
The art style and look are much better than the first, but you can still tell it is dragon age
The combat is a lot better and faster. Each class feels significantly different.
The Bad
There are a lot of quest and the story is very different. It does not seem like a complete story but stories within a story.
The Ugly
THIS IS WHAT THE FIRST DRAGON AGE SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
Also the pc suffered a little in this installment so I hope the third game is great on all platforms and not just consoles like 2, or on the pc like Origins.