The Latest



As expected, Sony used the Mobile World Conference 2011 to officially debut the long-rumored, so-called PSP Phone. The Sony Xperia Play will be among the first Android devices to run the new 2.3 ‘Gingerbread’ OS when it launches in March.

The Xperia Play is packing a 1GHz Snapdragon processor with embedded Adreno GPU that should facilitate 60fps gaming. The device is also sporting a 5.1 megapixel camera, 400MB of on-board memory and a 8GB microSD memory card. Battery life is said to be “up to 5 hours and 35 minutes.”
So how much PlayStation is in the ‘PlayStation Phone?’ Well the device will come pre-loaded with one ‘legendary’ PS1 classic title and a number of PlayStation titles will be available exclusively (for a time) on the device. Some twenty developers are said to be working on content for the Xperia Play with a launch line up in the neighborhood of 50 titles. Notables include Dead Space, Battlefield, Assassin’s Creed, Guitar Hero, and FIFA.

The U.S. should be among the first markets to get the Xperia Play when it hits streets next month and Verizon will be the first carrier to offer the device.

How does the Xperia Play stack up against YOUR smartphone? How about the PSP, or even still the NGP? Is this the device gamers have been thirsting to carry on the go? Will tactile controls turn the tide on the multitouch gaming behemoth? Drop some details of your own in the comments!

Posted by Lance

7 Comments

  1. Nevarran Says:
  2. I will need a new phone by the end of this year and I will buy the NGP… so im not sure about this, either this complements my gaming and phone needs more, or i will be contempt with the awesome NGP… so not sure yet, but ill be looking into it. But in the back of my mind i always want my phone to be a phone, my mp3 to be a mp3 and my poartable gaming to be a portable gaming device…

     
  3. Nantukeh Says:
  4. Next month?!?!Battlefield?Dead Space?almost makes me wanna go to Verizon

     
  5. mrganj Says:
  6. Most people usually only play cell phone games for a few minutes at a time anyways. Like on break, or in a waiting room. So it’s more feasible to keep them casual. I’ll stick with my Droid X for now. I can use it for all my casual gaming needs and I’ll get the new NGP for my hardcore needs. I’ll probably just wait about 2-3 more years before I update my phone again anyways.

     
  7. Drhoax Says:
  8. I have never had a portable gaming device, because I dont want to carry more than one device when Im on the go. I usually forget my mp3 player at home too..
    But as I need a new phone and my favorite gaming platform is PS3 , this will probably get me in to portable gaming.

     
  9. Unsmuttered Says:
  10. Sony has to do this carefully and separate itself from relying android games and bring more exclusive titles out . If not it might see the same fate as sega dreamcast did. Hoping that they release gran turismo and final fantasy content.

     
  11. Israfil Says:
  12. Did nobody notice how they stated battery life would last up to a precise 5 hours and 35 minutes?

    I find it hilarious…

     
  13. Can’t wait to get it a try Fresno Financial

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets