Going all the way back to the days of Mortal Kombat, games have had the ability to spark controversy, especially with mothers. EA knows this and they are using it to their advantage. During the Packers/Falcons football game a new Dead Space 2 spot was aired and showed the reactions of ‘actual focus group’ mothers watching clips of the new sci-fi horror game in action. Basically, the commercial consists of moms making faces of disgust.
Effective marketing or not, I found the commercial rather funny, but not what EA was aiming to do with this advertisement. Dead Space 2 is rated M for players over the age of 17, so I highly doubt a 17+ year old gamer would give a damn what their mother thinks about picking it up. Does this mean EA is admitting to the idea that underage kids will be playing Dead Space 2?
Whatever the case , the tv spot also notes a new website has been made, YourMomHatesThis,com, but it’s just a sub-website off of the game’s official site – nothing special here.
So, what do you guys think of the spot? Funny, yet ineffective? Stupid? Unoriginal? Leave a comment, and then go tell your mom!
i love it actually
Ah old people. :)
Maybe if parents see this it will encourage them to NOT buy this game for their children.
It’s everything we love in the game… it sums it all…
Maybe it’s EA’s pre-emptive strike at mothers whining about the game’s “brutality”. I know it’s rated M, but surely some under 17 year olds will play this game…
It’s probably just to get the gamers laugh…
In response to the mother who asked “why would they even make something like this”…
The reason is simple…it’s a coping mechanism. Everyone has inner demons. Most of us have the proper faculties to not listen to that part of us and generally this is an easy task for a well adjusted invidivual, but when you deal with work, traffic jams, slow service, delays at the airport, arguments with your significant other, money and financial issues; these demons inside of us all get louder and stronger.
People who don’t let the monsters out to play in some stress relieving activity inevitably reach a breaking point where they snap.
Anyone who has read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac graphic novel, or has played a formori in world of darkness knows what I’m talking about.
That…is the last answer to “Why I play games” any working publicist would want to print in an ad let alone hear.
By your summation I guess for Jared Laughner Dead Space 2 didn’t come soon enough.
Love it, real funny
lol, now they’re just fucking with everyone for the hell of it… I like it.
I think it’s an impressive add but maybe targetet at the wrong audience.
The humor is just right for me but the add features nothing of interest to me.
I don’t care what my mom says about DS2 and thats the same for the brutality.
Excellent Advertising right there!
I actually thought of this commercial almost exact same idea at least 8 yrs ago… No fkn BS! True Story!
I now wish i had pitched my idea out there and maybe possibly pocketed some change.
btw i am fkn STOKED for DS2
I laughed. I’d love to see the reaction these “moms” have to the games that are even *worse* than DS2.
Love to see their reaction to Kratos riping the head of Helios