The Latest


In this episode we talk about the NGP, or is it the PSP2? Whatever you want to call it, we talk about the latest portable gaming device unveiled by Sony earlier this week. We give a rundown of some of the NGP's specs and do a little comparison of it, and the 3DS as well as our thoughts on which device we would prefer to own. We also talk about the recently released Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm demos as well as a little Dead Space 2. Besides the NGP, we also give a quick rundown of some of the bigger news topics this week as well as answer all of the wonderful viewer questions from the VGH Forums! Hope you enjoy this latest installment in the Henchmen Cast series and as always, thanks for listening!

Henchmen Cast - Episode 26
MP3 Audio File
53 MB
Right Click Save As - [download]

Posted by Jacob

8 Comments

  1. JoeyWan Says:
  2. Great show, guys. I’m excited about the NGP if they take a portal 2 style approach like you guys were talking about. If you buy a game for the NGP, or the PS3, you should get a digital version for the other platform for free. (I’m not opposed to heavily discounted digital versions, but hey, free is obviously best for the consumer) That way, you could take your game anywhere and your saves could transfer between the two.

    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been kicked out of the main TV room because the fiance wants to watch real housewives, or teen mom, or some other non-epic crappy show. This could be the key for men to spend quality time with their significant other AND play the latest and greatest games out there. Think about it! We could have our cake… and eat it too!

     
  3. liyad Says:
  4. I’m curious about their Playstation suite (please get on iPhone/iPod Touch…because that’s what I’m using). Depending on the games that come out for it, it could be one of the greatest things ever. HD remake for Playstation Suite of FF7? *crosses fingers*

    On the Bulletstorm demo:

    I actually had fun with it, though I was wondering where the jump button was at the beginning too! I think it’s not worth 60$ but a rental or getting it cheap (ie 15$) could give you some decent fun.

     
  5. there is not, nor will there ever be a worse name than “Natal” (at least NGP actually means something). Thanks for another great episode, guys!

     
  6. Joutei Says:
  7. NGP is the most lazy name ever! Natal had a meaning look it up on Wikipedia.

    The device looks good however and i hope it will live up to the hype :)

     
  8. Kilenem Says:
  9. Dead Space 2 was and is amazing!

    Played the multiplayer of DS 2 and I was surprised…it’s actually fun! I didnt expect anything out of it but it’s fun and balanced so wining as human or Necro is doable. I played a few rounds after I beat the game. The game hits a certain point where the necros start changing strategy and they attack you differently and you feel that this is how DS2 is different than 1! ALl the different new types etc, just wow at the game. Not looking forward to hardcore with only 3 saves allowed. Not sure if it’s 3 saves during the game or 3 save file slots? I’ll be finding out soon though.

     
  10. N00bser Says:
  11. I don’t want do judge the system before it’s out but i guess I will prefer the 3DS by far. When i see the titles for NGP (…) I just see games I can play on my PS3 but just with fancy numbers or subtitles. Uncharted X, Killzone X, Call of Duty X, Resistance X and it was the same deal for almost the whole library of the PSP and I ASSUME (speculative as hell) that it COULD become the same concept for the new device and that leads me to believe that it will be completely unappealing to me.
    When I look at my DS I see that I couldn’t have played Ace Attorney (that way), Layton, Ghost Trick, 999 or EBA (Elite Beat Agents, just to clarify :P ) on another system and so the DS it feels independent and fresh. NGP feels like a small PS3 and has a very very very similar library up to this point.
    They could prove me wrong but i think they won’t.

     
  12. Esso Says:
  13. I also do not understand the hype around this thing at all. From where I stand it looks like they learned absolutely NOTHING from the first PSP.

    - First of all this thing will cost 400-500$. THAT IS WAY TOO MUCH. Where I live it will most likely be 400-500 Euro which is easily over 100$ more!

    - The Specs might be great, but the console is slimmer and has 2 touch screens, 3G and whatnot. How much battery life does this thing have? 3 hours?

    - Most of the games they showed were PS3 sequels or ports. The flood of ports is actually unavoidable. They literally bragged about how it only took around 2 weeks to make the ps3 versions of games like Lost Planet 2 run on the NGP. Wasn’t the ton of uninspired PS2 ports to the PSP instead of original games one of the reasons why the PSP didn’t really take off?

    - This thing looks like an ergonomic catastrophe. Pick up anything of similar dimensions and put your thumbs where the analog sticks are (and try touching the area where the touchscreen on the back would be, since there will probablybe be games that’ll demand both at the same time)

    I mean… This could be so good, but at the same time there is so much wrong with this. It really makes me wonder what is going through the heads of Sony’s executives… (especially considering the video they released alongside the announcement)

     
  14. Dr.Roxo Says:
  15. 1. That’s speculation. Making a console inherently means taking huge losses in order to get into the market. Maybe Sony will accept taking more losses to lower the price.
    2. They stated 6 to 8 hours depending on stress I suppose. I’m betting much closer to 6 and maybe lower as more “power” is unlocked as more power=more energy consumption. Either way, if you use this as a device to use in your daily commute, this is more then sufficient, unless somehow you spend more then 4 hours total in a day going from home to work and back…to which I’m going to tell you to move closer to work…
    3. I fully agree with you on this.
    4. Until I hold it in my hand, I’ll wait to see if it feels comfy or not. Though Sony has never had comfort up there in their list of priorities (I still consider the 360 controller to be the most “comfy” in my hands in comparison to dual shock. Just my opinion).

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets