Seemingly taking a page from From Software’s horribly unforgiving Demon’s Souls (or wonderfully unforgiving depending on how you look at it…), the folks at CD Projekt are preparing a doozy of a nutshot with their upcoming game, The Witcher 2. Aside from being abnormally difficult in all the standard ways, the game’s Insane Mode will only give you one life.
Speaking to Eurogamer, gameplay designer Mateusz Kanik explains that player are able to save their game while playing in Insane mode, but should they die at some point, reloading in that entire career string will be disabled. While the developer plans on including a resurrection scroll as DLC “or something”, Kanik was decidedly cryptic.
Considering the game will be a long, non-linear exploit, taking on the Insane mode sounds, well, insane. However, Kanik does state that players will at least get something for their trouble, saying “there will be an achievement for that, for sure.”
So how many of you out there have the balls to take on this Insane mode? Let us know in the comments!
Via Eurogamer

I would have preferred something a bit little bit different. For example, multiple auto-saves. If you die once, you reload the first one, if you die twice, you continue from the second one and so on. I.e. the more you die, the further back you go. However, there’s also a limit like let’s say 5. This way you can’t end up at the very beginning of the game just because you’re unable to pass one section.
This to me feels a bit more forgiving, but yet challenging. The auto-saves should be before some difficult objectives. This makes it even more challenging and “annoying.”
Having to start again from start just because you messed up once is a bit…extreme. Sure, I’ll try it and I’ll probably enjoy it quite a bit, but I’m also going to be pretty mad when I die and possibly throw the game out of the window.
However, I’ll be even more mad when the Insane difficulty can be easily finished by 90% of the players. After all, if it’s Insane then it better be hard in every way not just the one feature what makes it hard.
Oh. My. Jizz. After my experience with the first witcher and the 80+ hours I put into it, this terrifies me… But I Effing want it!!!!!!!!
I dont think i could handle playing x amount of hours and then being made to start again. Il just play it on normal. Its good they have this option I guess though
What really gets under my skin is that they said monsters are a much more difficult to kill.
“It won’t be easy to not fight the monsters. We fixed that by giving all opponents special abilities which allow them to catch the Witcher,” Kanik said.
“Undead can dig into the ground and get up near the player. So when you run he will dig up in front of you and grab you. It will be harder to just run and avoid the fight.”
Does that apply to only Insane mode? If so then…well that kinda sucks.
That will depend on the actual game and the frequency you’re likely to die.
If I do try it though, it won’t be on my first playtrough for sure.
I’m with you. I might try that on a second play through but definitely not the first. It’d be a little easier on the second playthrough too since I’ll have some combat experience and alchemy down.