Taking the crown away from top contenders God of War III, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Mass Effect 2, and Halo: Reach, Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption was named ‘Game of the Year’ at the Spike VGAs last night. The western epic which follows a man on a mission to save his family by taking out a gang of criminals that he used to run with also picked up awards for Best Song in a Game (Far Away by Jose Gonzalez, who was also on-hand to perform the song during the show) as well as Best Original Score and Best DLC for the game’s Undead Nightmare DLC pack.
Check out the full list of winners below:
GAME OF THE YEAR
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)
STUDIO OF THE YEAR
BioWare
CHARACTER OF THE YEAR
Sgt. Woods (Call of Duty: Black Ops / Activision)
BEST XBOX 360 GAME
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)
BEST PS3 GAME
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)
BEST Wii GAME
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo / Nintendo)
BEST PC GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment / Blizzard Entertainment)
BEST HANDHELD GAME
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)
BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision / Treyarch)
BEST ACTION ADVENTURE GAME
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)
BEST RPG
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)
BEST MULTI-PLAYER
Halo: Reach (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)
BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)
BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME
NBA 2K11 (2K Sports / Visual Concepts)
BEST DRIVING GAME
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts / Criterion Games)
BEST MUSIC GAME
Rock Band 3 (MTV Games / Harmonix)
BEST SOUNDTRACK
DJ Hero 2 (Activision / FreeStyleGames)
BEST SONG IN A GAME
Far Away by José González (Red Dead Redemption)
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)
BEST GRAPHICS
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)
BEST ADAPTED VIDEO GAME
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Chengdu)
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN MALE
Neil Patrick Harris as Peter Parker / Amazing Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions / Activision)
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN FEMALE
Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty / Blizzard Entertainment)
BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME
Costume Quest (THQ / Double Fine Productions)
BEST DLC
Red Dead Redemption – Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)
BEST INDEPENDENT GAME
Limbo (PlayDead)
MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
Portal 2 (Valve / Valve)
I wish Tricia Helfer was at the VGAs last night and was on stage. I swear they know the winners ahead of time. The show was great. Congratulations Rockstar. Congratulations Bioware. I am looking forward to Mass Effect 3 and L.A. Noire next year. Also Uncharted 3 looks great. I really want to play God of War, but Microsoft has nothing to compete against it(sorry Too Human does not count). All the winners are well deserved. I am glad Reach got one award. NPH was a great host and I am glad he won. Woods is a great character(too bad he died). I still don’t get people’s obsession with Portal and Portal 2. Portal 2 is not my most anticipated game. Forza looks ok, but I wish Gears of War was there. And Nintendo needs to stop swimming in their cash, make an HD console, and sponser block buster games so that their names are out there. Their presence was really lacking at the VGAs this year and it has always been. This year was one of the better years. The augmented reality was crap. Only God of War used the new stage well. I hope next year is even better. Go MASS EFFECT 3!!!!!
I bet Jacob creamed himself when Red Dead won.
Those whole awards dont make any sence. Dont get me wrong, im satisfied with the outcome(not like last year, bleh) but how could red dead won if the best ps3 games was god of war III, beating red dead?(red dead was nominated as the best ps3 game).
Answer that someone, please!
Also, im really againts nominating multiplatform games in the xbox, ps3 and wii section, those should be exclusives only.
i think i never was less interested in the winners of any award. not because i don’t like the award or the contestants, it was an amazing year for gamers, but looking forward to the next year is like OH – MY – GOD.
It was well deserved. Rockstar is great for delivering immersing experiences with great stories, huge scope, and unrivaled character development and acting. They even included a multiplayer aspect which actually seemed quite thought out and involved rather than tacked on, and have been supporting the game with some awesome DLC. Hard to think of another game that has delivered as much as RDR this year.
Look I’m not saying Portal 2 isn’t going t be a great game, but MOST anticipated?!? Just want to point out the glaring omission of ANY PS3 titles to even vote for in the first place (LBP2, Killzone 3, The Last Guardian). They didn’t have a problem nominating a 360 exclusive (Gears 3), but it’s the fact that Bioshock Infinite isn’t even coming out until 2012 that creates a ginormous WTF?! in my brain.
I believe ME2 should have won. There wasn’t anything really revolutionary about it except for its setting. A good bit of everything you did in RDR you have done in GTA. Not to say its a bad game, its a very good game. I believe it should have gotten best Action/Adventure. But ME2/Bioware got pretty much every-other award they were nominated in…. And don’t even get started about Woods from Block Ops getting best character.
Not surprised about RDR. Nowdays it’s all FPS and GTA… if someone make GTA in first-person, that’ll win even best wii game, without being on wii
THE VGA’S were a joke. Dane Cook made it even worse then it was
I think RDR deserves the title but i have just one tiny tiny tiiiiiiny question…
WHEN DOES IT COME OUT ON PC FOR FU*KS SAKE!!11!!1
The first flaw of the show was the territory lock – I’m from Europe so I stayed up late and everything, but I couldn’t watch in online on spike. (Thanks to VGH I got to watch it live.)
I think most of the wins were good, RDR is a great game and the GTA IV comparison is not fair. Character of the Year is a bit unnecessary thing, I’d rather see a “Best Story” category.
But the thing that bugs me is the RDR win in “Best Original Score” – now, I liked the music, but only ingame – outside of the game, you kinda can’t listen to it. When compared to God of War 3 or even Mass Effect 2, RDR music is bland and uninteresting – sure, it adds to the atmosphere ingame, but ME2 and GOW3 do the same – but I can listen to both of these on my MP3 player, and I can’t say that about RDR OST.
But other than that, it wasn’t bad, I hope it gets better (and I hope they get rid of the territory lock!!!)
BEST DLC:
Red Dead Redemption – Undead Nightmare
Hmm, Lair of the Shadow Broker was waaay better.. atleast it did stay to the game. Wtf is a unicorn doing in red dead anyway…
Woods as best character… LOL! Did he have any character except those five lines trough the whole games. Lame-ass shit.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Black Ops. But how the F- can you nominate him as a character. Captain price from the Modern Warfare games had ten times more character.