The Latest

This is the first part of a 2 part series of how I think the VGA's should have been, cause lets face it... the 2010 VGA sucked. So what I did was take some of their categories plus add a few of my own and now I dub it the "Evan Game Awards."

For part 1 of the EGA's are the "lower" awards mainly the best of each genre and some other stuff, with the bigger meat being in part 2.

Best Character: John Marston

Really...Sgt Woods? John Martson easily takes the win as Rockstar, as always, gives us a complex character with a troubled past.  What makes Marston better than the rest though is in the title of the game, "Redemption." Throughout the game, Marston is trying to redeem himself for his violent past by working with the law. However when the law and his old gang seem one and the same is when Marston truly questions if what he is doing is right.



Best Studio: Bungie

I've always had a soft spot for Bungie and while I think Bioware did a good job with Mass Effect 2, I think Bungie did a great job with their last Halo game and gave everything that the players wanted plus some. Especially when the listened to players and made "Forge 2.0" is what seals it for me. Any time a company listens to the players is when I say bravo and thank you for listening to us.







Best Soundtrack: Super Mario Galaxy 2

It was a crime that this soundtrack wasn't even mentioned as it is some of the best music as always. Koji Kondo is a musical genius and does a lot of Nintendo's music. Any music from Zelda or Mario has his name attached and it is an insult to not have even mentioned this man.










Best Multiplayer game: Call of Duty Black Ops


OHHH NOOO Black Ops actually wins something, Evan's such an idiot because only meat heads like CoD games.

Quite the contrary, Black Ops is the best CoD multiplayer yet...even better than CoD 4. Treyarch finally has outdone Infinity Ward and has created the most balanced multiplayer yet. No longer do I get noobtubed or killed by a chopper gun. Atatchments must be bought and noobtubes aren't just given out like candy anymore. Killsteaks are still there and customizable but no where near as powerful as MW2. Then the zombies mode and dead ops are great multiplayer option too that will provide hours of constant and fresh entertainment.




Best Shooter: Halo Reach

Though lets be real, usually the CoD campaigns kinda suck and are just quickly made in order to sell the multiplayer. However Reach is Bungie's swan song of Halo games. It is easy to see the time and dedication that went into the making of this game. Reach is a superb game with a good multiplayer too, but by far the best single player experience.









Best Adventure: Red Dead Redemption

The environment is just so beautiful. What's also great is all the content there is to do. Unlike games like San Andreas that have vast expanses with little content in between. Rockstar made sure that in this game that there would be plenty of things to do in between major places. Random encounters are an excellent way to spend a few minutes, and then hunting and challenges are sometimes even more fun then the main game.




Best Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2

 It's Super Mario Galaxy 2...nuff said.


While Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't revolutionary by any means. It is a great sequel that dumps story for enhanced gameplay from its prequel.







Best Racing game: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Damn, Criterion knows how to make some racing games. The most notable games they have made ate the Burnouts, which is an amazing series of racing games. N4S takes a lot of what they learned and incorporates it into a great racing experience.










Best RPG: Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2 engages the player from start to finish. While the powers customization may not seem too much like an RPG as eventually everything can be maxed out. The Paragon/Renegade system turns the game into one with so many different possible outcomes. In addition, companions add an even greater variance that create such a great experience.





Best Sports game: NHL11

Yea...hockey. It may sound weird that Madden or NCAA didn't win, but hockey games are so much fun. They're so simple and enjoyable that anyone can pick it up and instantly have some fun.









Best Rhythm game: Rock Band 3

I don't play these games as I'm so terrible, but a good friend of mine is like the 8th best person in the world. So when he says Rockband 3 is the best, I take his word for it. When I watch him play I like RB3 over guitar hero for the more diverse soundtrack and better overall gameplay. What I like most though is how there is a much more noticeable difference between each game in the series. Guitar Hero likes to rehash the same material over and over agin while Rock Band likes to actually take its time and put some freshness in their games.







Best Survival horror game: Alan Wake

So what if I made this category for the sole purpose of letting Alan Wake win something. Alan Wake is an amazing game with one of the best narratives in a video game. The gameplay is dark and creepy and creates an ideal survival horror atmosphere. If you take anything away from this article, please take some money and buy this game so I can get a sequel...please?






So here are some that I came up with on the fly.

Best Bang for your buck: Super Meat Boy (was $10 now $15 for XBLA)
-Super Meat Boy will provide many hours of frustrating but satisfying gameplay for a very cheap price.

Most Ignored/underapreciated game: Alan Wake
-Please buy this game...for me. But in all seriousness this game is a great game that feels a lot like resident evil, and you can even move and shoot at the same time. The atmosphere is beautiful and the story will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Best Worst game: Just Cause 2
-The voice acting is atrocious but the gameplay is superb and and world is massive, being about 400 sq km and the graphics are beautiful. This game honestly almost beats Red Dead in the adventure department.

Worst Best game: Dead Rising 2
-I know that I'm going to get a lot of complaints about this, but I didn't feel that same Dead Rising vibe when I played 2. Its a good game that fixed a lot of the issues with Dead Rising, but something just felt missing.

Not as good as the first game: Bioshock 2
-No one can deny the quality of Bioshock, but Bioshock 2 just didn't hold up to what its predecessor was. Just another example that not all games need a sequel. Thankfully Infinite takes us away from the world of Rapture and into a new world where maybe the quality will become as good as the first.


Here be the end of part 1 of this exciting series. For the best for each console and game of the year, go check out part 2.

Posted by Evan

1 Responses to How the VGA's should have been: Evan's Opinion Part 1

  1. Scralatos Says:
  2. I agree mostly within regards to the list. I mean, VGA's this year was pretty sucky especially having the host of the show be a winner recepient which is pretty gay. NPH should have never won that award and he knows it. Anyways, Good list.

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets