There’s been a lot of info swirling around surrounding Crystal Dynamic’s Tomb Raider reboot, as it was officially revealed this week, and it can be tough to separate the fact from the fiction. Luckily, NeoGAF user SolidSnakeX has posted a rundown of all the main info presented in the latest issue of Game Informer. Check it out below:
- Lara is 21 in this game
- It’s not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no “real” Lara model this time.
- They’re doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she’s dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won’t talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- “I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors,” begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. “There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide.”
- “It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor,” says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara’s athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara’s for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara’s abilities. You’ll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You’ll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.
via NeoGAF
This game honestly sounds amazing, i still need to see some gameplay but I am really excited for this game.
Well it all sounds good on paper (like almost every game) and I really hope they are able to deliver with this game.
As long as she retains full titties, super small waist, round booty and a great gap… I’m good. Ha..
I’m reaching pretty far, but I’d love to see a Tomb Raider game rival the Uncharted games for pure awesomeness. I hope CD puts out some real quality in this one.
Personally i’ve always really enjoyed the Tomb Raider games and maybe it’s the ‘Sales pitch’ talking above but this game really sounds fantastic so it’s definitely (for me) a one to watch! (And not for obvious reasons)…
The whole ‘Island’ thing instead of Tomb Raiding sounds like a great idea, kind of like an open sand box like Red Dead but in the jungle – I think i’m sold already! lol
This just became one of the games I’m watching very closely… I’ve been dreaming of a great survival game ever since I finished Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and realized that I wanted to see that idea and theme explored.
Let’s cross our fingers for Ms. Croft.
I just got a chance to read through the Game Informer cover of the new Tomb Raider, and I have to say I’m pretty intrigued. I think the re-imagining of Lara is a good idea, I too feel like the old Lara really was only playing to my middle-school-aged fantasies, and aside from that the mythos was just too over-the-top for me. I was happy to hear they’re trying to bring it all back down to the ground.
Also, I have to say that Crystal Dynamics is playing a pretty heavy bet right now. In a world dominated by Master Chiefs, Military Heroes, and Marcus Fenix’s, I think their attempt at a female, ‘realistic’ character (read that- not a steroid poppin guy who grins at the face of death) is risky. Add to that they’re going with a female character, and in so doing asking the player to step into her shoes.
That’s not to say I am not excited to see how they can take this, I am definitely a gamer who likes to immerse myself into fantasy, so the further away I can get from my own life the better. A coming-of-age story for a young adult in that situation definitely sounds like an experience worth having, regardless of the sex of the individual. Lara being a woman is going to give them an opportunity to wrap a unique story around the scenario, and give the game some atmosphere that is definitely lacking in this day and age. If they can pull off getting me emotionally invested and caring for this new Lara, I will certainly be impressed.
Sounded very much like they were aiming to take the character in the route of Uncharted 2, bringing his human nature to the forefront to pull the character in, rather than push the limits of what could be physically possible for a human and blurring the lines of reality. I’m trying to reserve judgements until we can get some gameplay vids and maybe a Demo, but it definitely sounds like they are playing a lot from Uncharted 2 and the story seems to lean a little on the TV show LOST: ‘gravitational pull’ bringing down an airplane anybody?
All in all I am very pleased with the re-imagining. And I have to say, I did indeed spend most of my time gazing into those big ‘ol hazle eyes of hers. I think she’s gorgeous, great job guys. Now the hard part- craft an experience that gives her a soul and make me care about her as a person. That’s the hallmark of a great game. Let’s hope they can pull it off.
Man I hope they don’t f@ck this up.
Maybe it will be a great game series, BUT:
When changing so much, why still frigging call Tomb Raider? Ah, yes, because of *ka-CHING*
Dumb ass-hat reboots nowadays.
It sounds nothing like the old Tomb Taider… so I guess is has promise.
So, how about a Legacy of Kain reboot? anyone? CD?
Looks like entirely new game with Tomb Raider brand on it for the free advertising and hype… “brand reboot” my ass.
Aside from that…
I like the concept. I really dig strong female characters in games and it seems this will play like Uncharted so two thumbs up from me!
nice sales pitch.. let’s see what the game is actually like when it comes out..
Hopefully they don’t have any timed exclusivity with this one, or they won’t get a second look from me again.
@SegMaster
Seriously, Legacy of Kain had such a rich setting
I just hope they will bring back or at least reinvent the feeling of isolation and exploration. Some characterisation of Lara would be nice too, but so long as you can swan dive into a pit of lava, whatever right?
The game sounds fresh and exciting. Crystal Dynamics have managed to get me excited about a Tomb Raider game again, which is no mean feat.
(P.S. please don’t use the word ‘deets’ in a headline, it sounds daf
I've honestly never have seen the hype in Laura Croft games, and when I hear that I have to forage for food and water, I can't help but remind myself of Far Cray 2 and the malaria pills. I think on paper this game sounds much cooler than it really is, but hey I've been wrong about a game before.