Listen up, ladies.
Destructoid landed some interesting stats about Mass Effect 2, mainly that 82% of users chose to play as a male Shepard, and only 18% played as female.
And here I thought the feminist movement had succeeded.
Destructoid’s Mass Effect 2 info breakdown looks a little something like this:
- 83% of players created their own face for Shepard
- 82% play as male Shepard, 18% as female Shepard
- The Soldier class is far and away the most popular class at 65%
- <Archangel> was among the most popular squad members selected for missions
- 10% of players never let <The Krogan> out of <his/her thing>
- Only 50% of players have fully upgraded the <Ship> by the end of the game
- 14% of squad members die in the end-game, on average
- 36% of players chose the <Renegade choice> in the end-game
If given the option I prefer to play as a woman character. Besides, if the game features a sex scene, lesbian sex is preferable.
I reckon most gamers (including myself) play and live vicariously through the protagonist. Since more gamers are male; they choose a male since choosing female would decrease the ‘immersion’/suspension of disbelief, if that makes any sense. We find it easier to step into the boots of another person of the same sex than the other sex.
Just my 2 cents anyway.
@ST125
even though u and alot of guys say this, this is proven to be a lie told my almost 90% of dudes. and has been proven year after year in porn sales, where lesbien porn is still a niche compared to male on female!
even scientists have done research on this issue, and have come to the conclusion that most (around 90% of all dudes) when thinking of a (sexual) fantasy likes to either put themselfs in it or have a male character which they can think represents themselfs! booya!
First time through I played as a Paragon male with the default face. From all the trailers and media I find it weird to play as the dude with any other face.
I am a woman and played as a woman. If I have the option to play as a female I usually go for it. For me it’s hard to imagine playing Mass Effect (1 and 2) with the default Shepard, it just makes it seem more generic to me. Also, Jennifer Hale did a great job voicing female Shepard. I wouldn’t have liked the game as much if you could only play as default Shepard, you create your own story by the choices you make in the missions and also the kind of Shepard you create.
I always used default Shep’s face. After hours of trying to create a different, I decided the default one is really cool anyway, so why not.
I always played as a male, always a Vanguard, since ME1, I just loooove shotguns ;)
was definitely not the most chosen char for MY missions. I might have taken him/her a few times.
I let the out of the whatever.
I had the ship fully upgraded, no one died and I chose the Paragon option at the end… or was it Renegade? Whichever was against the ‘s choice ;)
I don’t fit in most of those statisticts. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean a thing, except for the fact that Mass Effect, both 1 and 2, is a very personal, and one of the best RPG experiences these days. Long live Bioware.
With Mass Effect, I play around 3-4 playthroughs.
I play myself (male, generally neutral) as an Infiltrator on Veteran.
I play a paragon female Vanguard on Insane.
I play a renegade male Soldier on Insane.
I play a renegad female Engineer on Insane.
I always use custom faces that I think represents the character I’m playing. When playing as myself, I choose a face that may have some resemblence to me but generally is more fitting of my personality than looks.
In other single player RPG games, especially where there is no voice acting (I am a big fan of Jennifer Hale’s work), I play as a female. I figure if I’m going to play a game for over 100+ hours, I’d much rather spend it looking at a female’s ass than a male, also it generally fits the assassin character I like to play (sharp, observant, aware, agile, cold but not inhumane).
I will be playing SWTOR (should I get it) as a female bounty hunter on my first roll.
I gravitated towards default Sheperd. He just seemed to fit the whole setting far better and the character creator in both ME 1 and 2 was only good at creating hideous mutant people.
I didn’t replay it either, The way Mass Effect sets up its scenes makes what the outcome will be so obvious so I did exactly what I wanted in every decision making area. This prevented me from playing a Female on the next run through.
I played as Soldier, male, created my own face and none of my squad members died at all. In fact – the only person to ever die on my watch was that dude from ME1, when you’re given the choice b/w him and Ashley.
I always played as both but usually female as the 2nd play through as the main default male skin IS Commonder Shepard to me. (Yes the supposed generic looking one)
imported save from MS1 and played my old Shepard also most of the time i chosen Renegade option simply bcoz its more fun and less predictable consequences. never played female Shepard coz i didnt see a point and also never played Soldier class but i understand why so many people played it..
tho im hoping ME2 will be RPG/action of the year
That’s me with the second playthru as female shepard. Then again my first playthru was complete default male shepard…
Well I play at least 2 rounds.
1.Male ,Good, Fighter
2.Female ,Evil ,Biotic
No bad feelings ladys I just want to see every aspect of the game and since Iam male and iam somewhat nice so is my male shepard. Then comes my Female Shepard Evil to the bone and a Biotic Maniac. Even Though Biotic in this game was strongly tweaked.
c’mon girl on girl action?, now seriously I’d rather play as a woman I think because I’m tired of the classic role and man/warrior/soldier who can do anything ans get the girl, besides as a man I prefer see thing from another point of view and there’s the the whole empowered woman who knows what she wants that I find attractive.
I started out as a male character that i created myself at the start of ME2.
Played through the game as a Vanguard and finished it as Paragon with 1 squad member dying.
My second playthrough was with a loaded female character from ME1 (the 3rd char i created on ME1) and finished the game on insanity difficulty as Renegade and that was probably my completist experience with all sidequests done, all ship- and weapon upgrades bought and all party members alive at the end. Played that one through as Sentinel.
After that i started again as a Techy and male character and finished it with a neutral-ish ending.
What i like about ME is that it’s worthwhile to try out other classes and genders as there are always little details that change.
The sexscene ….? It’s something i don’t pay all that much attention to. I liked the lingery show etc with Lawson and i was gutted by still not seeing Tali’s face during the scene :<
I tend to chose male characters too. When playing RPGs, I also very often tend to pick warrior class as well. This is simply a natural fit. Everything else is just to see how the game plays and/or experience it with a new perspective. I’d be curious to see whats the gender ratio of gamers who play Mass Effect. If 82% are male, then it’s only normal we get those stats, imo.