Sequel. It has almost become a dirty word. But should it be? I, for one, say no! Once again I say that sequels are not an inherently bad idea, particularly in the gaming industry. Jonathon and I talked about sequels a couple of weeks ago at work. It is a subject that is deserving of such a discussion, and it generally leads to conversations of innovation vs. stagnation. From what I see as a perspective is that sequels were not bad for the video game industry and that I felt that, generally speaking, they improved upon their predecessors. I still feel that way. At the very least I feel as though video games do a better job of improving iterations more frequently than their cinematographic counterparts do. But I thought I would take a different approach to the question of ‘to sequel or not to sequel?’. I thought we could look at a few games that we, the gamers, would have been deprived of were it not for the good ‘ol sequel.
Let’s start with probably the most obvious representation of a game that indicates the need for the continued practice of video game sequels, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. To discuss the sequel, let us first look at the initial game in the Uncharted series, Drake’s Fortune. Drake’s Fortune was a very good game. Like any game, it had its minor issues, but the story was engaging, the acting was top-notch, and the gameplay was fun and accessible. The game was going for a cinematic experience that felt like something of a mash-up of Indiana Jones and Romancing the Stone. And it succeeded. What came next, however, was truly mind-blowing. Uncharted 2 took the term “cinematic experience” to an entirely new level. The quality of graphics and character animation coupled with the deft use of camera angles came together to elevate the already incredible acting and storytelling within the game to a new level of polish. Likewise, Naughty Dog, the game’s developer, iterated nicely on the shooting and platforming aspects of the gameplay at the same time. I think if asked, Naughty Dog will tell you that it was explicitly the creation of the first game that allowed them to leverage their experience and technology to the point of being able to create a game of the quality of Uncharted 2.
Likewise, BioWare did the same thing with Mass Effect 2. Like Uncharted, the original Mass Effect was a very good game. With a richly created universe and sporting a new conversation interface to go along with the game’s thoroughly engaging script, the original game’s most glaring flaws were those of gameplay, mostly surrounding the shooting mechanics and the Mako (the game’s planet-side rover vehicle). The game also suffered from a bit of repetitiveness. However, nearly everything in the game was upgraded in the sequel, except for some repetition issues (I’m looking at you, mining mechanic). Mass Effect 2 was deeper, richer, and better looking than its predecessor in nearly every way, and that’s saying a lot. The shooting mechanics were honed significantly, and what we were left with in Mass Effect 2 was a glorious revisiting of our time spent with Commander Shepard. Oh yeah, let’s not forget that you got to play the same Shepard you were with in the original, down to his/her looks and attributes, a dynamic addition to the sense of continuity. All in all, the gaming lexicon would be significantly less noble without the addition of Mass Effect 2.
There are a few more sequels that bear mentioning as well. Call of Duty IV: Modern Warfare is one tiny example that comes to mind. As we all know, that title was, quite literally, a game changer. Though most of the games in the Call of Duty series prior to COD IV were more than solid, Modern Warfare actually shifted the place of video games in society at large, not to mention redefining the first person shooter along the way. And then there is another small series of sequels that millions of fans would argue redefined the gaming landscape, and I couldn’t necessarily disagree with them – Halo. Certainly the Halo games, helped define the multiplayer experience and, like Call of Duty, significantly moved video games into the mainstream. And then there are other titles, that I played this year alone, that I thought were absolutely fantastic and that I would be very upset had they never been made, such as Mafia II, Fable III, and Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood. Oh yeah, and how about a couple of sequels you might have heard of called GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Fallout 3?
But it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. I am not referring to just the production of sequels, but the production of high-quality sequels. I have very high expectations for Little Big Planet 2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex, Human Revolution,Dragon Age 2, and Portal 2, and that is all in the next five months (theoretically). Looking further down the road, I cant wait for the next Mass Effect or Uncharted or even inFAMOUS 2.
Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that every sequel is good (far from it) or that sequels are the only way to go. New IP’s like Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Darksiders, and the upcoming LA Noire, to name a few, are a vital part of gaming. But new IPs are not the only way to produce high quality games and I think the list of outstanding games above serves as a pretty compelling argument for my original declaration that ‘sequel’ is not a dirty word! Now get out there and play some sequels, dammit! Before you do though, be sure and chime in with your thoughts on sequels below. Until next time, keep on top of your game!
You entirly forgot the upcoming bad ass sequel of zhem all!!! Batman Arkham City!! But the ones you mentioned have indeed fell down like a brick into the o so (well kinda) quiet pond which gaming was. Darksiders is getting a sequel, RDR will probably alternate (just guessing) with GTA when the sequels are going to be released. Indeed the money that is made can fund other projects which would else not have gotten a green light by big companies. And in that way “sequalites” can be a good thing. But like your assessment that the sequels themselves are of high quality, is always dependable in a way of the games. Remember Army of Two 2 and Kane & Lynch Dog Days? those are some bad example. But yeah, companies are more relocating their money to the projects, when they were a good product, then yes the sequel will get money too.