The Latest


Hey everyone, for once I'm not going to criticize THQ for being a company with no good games and only make crappy nickelodeon games. This time I'm going to commend them on what I believe is a smart business move. Brian Farrell, President of THQ, outlined at a BMO Capital Market Conference:

"When we launched [MX vs. ATV] at $59.99, we'd do some units, and then when we brought the price down to the mass market-friendly price of $39.99, it would just pop... So the thinking this time is, let's initially launch at $39.99 -- it's a very robust game, very high quality, so this is not about trying to get a secondary title out."

and furthered explains:

"It's an AAA title, at that price point, but then with a series of DLC so people can extend their experience... We think this is the future of gaming. We think that's the way games are gonna go in the long term."

THQ plans on starting this business model when they release the next MX v ATV game, hopefully this model will provide success for THQ and might rub off on other game developers. It's interesting that instead of focusing on making as much money per game, they're just trying to sell more units. However though they intend to make up that difference in DLC sales, not sure how much I like that little stipulation. I just hope they don't sacrifice content in the main release and intend to sell it as DLC later.

Courtesy of Gamasutra

Posted by Evan

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets