The Latest


 
Well, here we are…Several years after the Nintendo Wii redefined the way we play, both Sony and Microsoft’s have joined in the motion movement with new hardware and new hopes designed to attract casual consumers and forever change the game.
Question is, “Is it working?” and if it is, "Is it working well?"
 
Now that both the Sony Move and Microsoft Kinect have hit the market, we around here at the ‘VGH are curious to gather REAL gamers opinions on the new devices.

Have you played them?

Did you buy either of them (or both)? What are people in your social circle saying about Move and Kinect?

Do you hear people that you’ve never heard talk about video games before chatting them up?

There’s a reason why we have so many questions and as anyone who has been following the Video Game Henchmen movement knows, it’s because we generally CARE about the industry and the art of interactive entertainment. How these new devices and new corporate mind sets will enhance or impede the creative drive in gaming remains to be seen, but for now we’ll attempt to gather the perspective of the loyal VGH audience on the matter for some constructive conversation plus, VGH has both of the devices and have our own opinions to them and we have shared a few but we would like to know yours first.

So, sound off below on how you’re handling the launch of Sony’s Move and Microsoft’s Kinect – it’s time for VGH to once again make a little motion in the comments area.…

Posted by Lance

14 Comments

  1. KaBo0m Says:
  2. Cool a,… 150usd eye-toy !!! (You show me a gaming applicability that is different,.. don’t try,.. there are none)

    Customers should just hang them self,.. (Is there a handgun in the package??)

     
  3. AnthonyS Says:
  4. It’s still too early to tell how this will pan out. For a person like me, if I had the slightest interest about this I would have two options.

    Believe in the massive Ad campaign that has been launched by the the big M letting me know that anyone who has a pulse will have and love this. Perhaps though instead I take the early thoughts of those who have used it. Problem is everyone is different.

    I’ve been reading all manner of feelings of this thing since it was released and as usual, everyone has a opinion and they all differ around certain aspects.

    I can only speak for myself. As of now I haven’t been compelled to run out and pick this up. I also don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything while I continue to game as usual.

     
  5. Brown258 Says:
  6. I’d rather blowtorch my nipples off than buy either of the two insults to gaming

     
  7. Justin P Says:
  8. I will put this blunty: Fuck Kinect, Fuck the Move! There you have it (fuck the wii too!)

     
  9. Rekof Says:
  10. bros why do you hate on Move,..
    It is a fuc**** 3d mouse !!
    this is eye-toy,..

    I dont know,.. but Wii is really hardcore compared to this shit,..

     
  11. Braveisrobin Says:
  12. I’ll give something to the PS Move. Sony has integrated it into it’s blockbuster games and they’ve generally been a good addition to the gameplay. Kinect on the other hand, even though it’s only been out for less than a week, seems more like that casual garbage that Nintendo has a monopoly over. Microsoft needs to stick to it’s user base.

    That being said, the big three really need to drop this motion controller bullshit and make some even better analog controllers (with rumble included).

     
  13. I’ll give something to the PS Move. Sony has integrated it into it’s blockbuster games and they’ve generally been a good addition to the gameplay. Kinect on the other hand, even though it’s only been out for less than a week, seems more like that casual garbage that Nintendo has a monopoly over. Microsoft needs to stick to it’s user base.

    That being said, the big three really need to drop this motion controller bullshit and make some even better analog controllers (with rumble included).

     
  14. IsaacBR Says:
  15. I own a move (gift) and have Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition and plays really well, I actualy can’t come back to normal controls I kinda really like it and I also have Tumble that is a good time spender and it works really well with the hole imersion thing, beyond that can’t say much I don’t own sports champions or anything beyond and won’t get any move game until Killzone 3 and Socom.

     
  16. DNADNS Says:
  17. I do own the Move and tried out the Kinect. Concerning my personal expectations I am more than happy with the Move so far. Kinect on the other hand does not interest me in any way due to software that is available and the general kind of interaction.
    Even the (wildly praised) voice controls for the dashboard simply remind me of the first days of speech recognition with a SoundBlaster card under Windows 3.11. It was a nice gimmick for about 4 minutes, but quickly lost its appeal as the input is just way slower than using a pointer device (i.e. mouse, wand, whatever) and buttons. A UI may look nice or feel great to handle, but at its core it is supposed to let you do whatever you want to achieve in the quickest and most painless way possible. This is where voice and gesture controls always fall short.
    On the Sony side, I was surprised about their attempt to go after the casual and the hardcore crowd. Upon the first announcement, I was sort of afraid to have another Wii at home that only is turned on if friends come over.
    But now here we are and while the Move support in MAG is not stellar, I still find myself playing Move games quite a lot. RE5 actually got interesting again and the Shoot is a surprisingly well made arcade shooter to play between more story heavy games like Fallout.
    On top of that, it also offers some good party titles if friends are coming over.
    Being used in both single player sessions and party mode, the Move is used quite often in our household and at the end of the day, that sort of defines if it was worth getting it.
    I doubt that I would spend that kind of money for a system that would only cover one area of gaming, even if the solution seems to be impressive on a technological level. I do own the Move and tried out the Kinect. Concerning my personal expectations I am more than happy with the Move so far. Kinect on the other hand does not interest me in any way due to software that is available and the general kind of interaction.
    Even the (wildly praised) voice controls for the dashboard simply remind me of the first days of speech recognition with a SoundBlaster card under Windows 3.11. It was a nice gimmick for about 4 minutes, but quickly lost its appeal as the input is just way slower than using a pointer device (i.e. mouse, wand, whatever) and buttons. A UI may look nice or feel great to handle, but at its core it is supposed to let you do whatever you want to achieve in the quickest and most painless way possible. This is where voice and gesture controls always fall short.
    On the Sony side, I was surprised about their attempt to go after the casual and the hardcore crowd. Upon the first announcement, I was sort of afraid to have another Wii at home that only is turned on if friends come over.
    But now here we are and while the Move support in MAG is not stellar, I still find myself playing Move games quite a lot. RE5 actually got interesting again and the Shoot is a surprisingly well made arcade shooter to play between more story heavy games like Fallout.
    On top of that, it also offers some good party titles if friends are coming over.
    Being used in both single player sessions and party mode, the Move is used quite often in our household and at the end of the day, that sort of defines if it was worth getting it.
    I doubt that I would spend that kind of money for a system that would only cover one area of gaming, even if the solution seems to be impressive on a technological level.

     
  18. WAZE Says:
  19. It’s plain and simple from the “hardcore” gamer perspective: the first one to SUCCESSFULLY bring RTS to consoles is for the win.

    Mikhailov (one of Move’s creators) claimed to play Starcraft with it. Well, port it to PS3, damned!

    Kinect has less potential (in my opinion that is), since whole hype is opposed to classic gaming. On one hand Sony caught them with that (“we have buttons”), on the other hand it doesn’t really mean much, if we check current sales figures (Kinect rules)…

    Time will show. Just give me my RTS!!!

     
  20. Davidian Says:
  21. The reason most people online think Kinect is garbage is because they mostly are “hardcore gamers” and Kinect isn’t specifically targeted at us.

    I have a move controller, but I really don’t use it that much,I only ever use it to play MAG which is pretty cool to play with Move.

     
  22. Deadman9966 Says:
  23. I don’t own either but I have a few friends on the PS3 that have the Move and they really seem to enjoy it. The Kinect on the other hand I don’t know. To me the games coming for it aren’t appealing to me unlike the Move where you will and can use it for “hardcore” title like MAG, Killzone 3, and Socom 4. I haven’t heard anything about those types of games being utilized by the Kinect. Not to forget the Move is an optional controller for those games aswell so if you don’t like to feel of the Move controller on a game like Socom then you can always go back to using a standard controller.

     
  24. It’s far too early to tell, however, the Move sure does look more “hardcore” friendly than Kinect. Almost all the games I play now, I cannot see myself playing on Kinect. The only thing Kinect allows is for RTS games to hit consoles and be properly playable without a complete bastardisation. Move still has enough buttons to allow hardcore games… with Kinect you’d need a bunch of gestures and voice commands, iffy on how that will work out.
    The Kinect however is by far the cheapest of the three. The Wii costs quite a bit to support four player, but not quite as much as the Move does.

     
  25. I’m not planning on getting either right now. Their lineup both seem like slightly different versions of Wii games, and their both way too expensive. The only motion controlled game that really proves itself as a product that can’t be done on another platform is Dance Central. Both are clearly targeted at casual gamers, at least Kinect doesn’t hide it. A lot of friends I know like Move for games like Heavy Rain or Killzone, games you can play without Move, and arguably better without motion.

    Kinect seems the most interesting to watch over the next year, MS will be updating it to make the dashboard workable, and hardcore games which will probably start coming in for both Move and Kinect next year.

    I want to see Endwar 2 using Kinect, since you can use your hand as a cursor, and voice work. There’s something cool/futuristic about the hands free approach that can add to a game.

    Again, we can sit here all day and talk about cool ideas for games with Kinect or Move, but developers have to actually be willing to try it, instead of shovelware. Which both consoles will suddenly be seeing a lot of.

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets