The Latest

While Halo: Reach is running rampant over the gaming forums and Xbox Live, I take a break from my never-ending quest to conquer all in the Halo: Reach arena, I look back at one of the greatest video game series, ever.

Halo is known for so many things, among them is its always stimulating campaign. These campaigns are all bolstered by some of the most exciting and enjoyable single-player levels Xbox has ever seen. Some of these were because of their challenge, others because of simply how epic the presentation is.

Without further introduction, I give you all what I believe to be the five best levels in the Halo series. Halo Wars was not included in my list-making process, due to the fact that it is a strategy game and the campaign levels are fundamentally different from the rest of the Halo series.

Special mention: The Maw, Halo: Combat Evolved
The big bang finale to the Halo campaign. The thrill of hauling ass out of a doomed spaceship is good enough for any top five list, based on personal preference. What made this level so much fun was more than just the race against time in a Warthog, it was when you had a buddy next to you to knock off the map.

5. The Silent Cartographer, Halo: Combat Evolved
The level before "The Silent Cartographer," "Truth and Reconciliation," was a slow reconnaissance mission with sniping as the main tactic in level progression. TSC flips that around as the level starts with you and a half dozen Marines storming a Covenant beach head. In this level you get to drive a warthog with Sgt. Johnson, get your first real taste of Forerunner mystery, and a deep variety of weapons. The level is relatively short, but it carries a punch and I fondly remember it as one of the levels I played most often.

4. Long Night of Solace, Halo: Reach
When it was confirmed that there would be a space/flying level in Halo: Reach, Halo fans everywhere collectively giggled like school girls. Ok, perhaps that is an exaggeration, but I am sure you know what you thought when you heard it.
Breath-taking in HD


Long Night of Solace was an exciting space flight level that ended as a standard ship boarding level. The Sabre was easy to control and lots of fun to fly. Add in the fact that you get to take on a Covenant Corvette, and you have one great level.

The ending of the level is one of the most emotional moments in the Halo: Reach campaign. Jorge throws you off the Corvette, and sacrifices himself to destroy the Covenant Super Cruiser. In what appeared to be a moment of planetary martyrdom, the mood is flipped in an instant, as our final scenes of this level is dozens of Super Cruisers dropping out of slipspace and signaling the full on destruction of Reach.

3. Delta Halo, Halo 2
Earth is under attack, you just found a new Halo, and you are literally falling in a pod to secure a landing zone.   The scenery is of ancient, stone, Forerunner structures. A complete breath of fresh air from the cold silver structures we were used to seeing on the first Halo. In "Delta Halo" you first meet the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers and their attractive jet black armor. In this level you get to drive a tank, and a gauss warthog. Bottom line, you blow shit up in this level.

Thank you, Bungie.

2. 343 Guilty Spark, Halo: Combat Evolved
This is the level that set up Halo: CE to become the legend that it is now. Up until 343 Guilty Spark, you had fought nasty aliens who are bent on the annihilation of every breathing human being. Exciting, but it was still missing something. that something was the curveball of The Flood.

Adventures of Chief & Pixie
The mission starts with you in a dark, scary, swamp in a downed Pelican with no survivors. You are looking for a lost group of Marines who were driven underground. The level plays out like a horror movie with creepy music and little ambiguous clues dropped every now and then. The video of Private Jenkins and his squad's encounter with the Covenant is one of the Halo series' best moments.

The spectacular level culminates with a frantic run for your life out of the Forerunner compound. Then when you do escape, you are abducted by this little floating eyeball who calls you the Reclaimer.

Consider the sequel a done deal.

1. Halo, Halo 3
It's the end. The final chapter if you played through each game in chronological order. "Halo" begins on the replacement Halo for the one you first destroyed in Halo: CE. You proceed to fight up a Forerunner mountain crawling with Flood in a race to eradicate the parasite once and for all.

One of Halo's toughest moments follows when that little pixie 343 Guilty Spark cowardly kills Sgt. Johnson, bringing an end to one of the most badass characters in the series. There is slight consolation in that you get to blast that pixie into pieces.
"We'll make it..."

So now you've activated Halo, the opposite objective of pretty much the entire series, and you are in a super recreation of "The Maw." Falling platforms, racing warthogs (or ghosts if you play 4 player co-op on Legendary difficulty.), trying to escape total annihilation.

The final cutscene is of the Elites and Humans coming to peace, and Master Chief going MIA. I still remember my goosebumps when I played through this level for the first time. Even now, ocassionaly I will suggest to the rest of my Xbox Live party: "Halo 3, last level?"



Thought I was done? Here is some more debate material as I list what I believe to be the five worst levels in all the Halo campaigns.

5. The Library, Halo: Combat Evolved
The Library simply is too repetitive. You run through what seems to be the same three rooms for half an hour killing hordes of seemingly invincible Flood. Ammo runs low, and so does patience. This would be a great level if the scenery was more varied.

4. Data Hive, Halo 3: ODST
Any level where the most frequent enemy are Drones, is just calling to be ridiculed. The level starts with the same feel as "The Library" in terms of repetitive scenery, except instead of invincible Flood, there is annoying Drones. When you finally make it to the bottom of the installation you are in, guess what? More Drones!

3. Floodgate: Halo 3
At this point in the Halo series, I am tired of the Flood, and I don't want to see any more of them. It's Halo 3, and it is time to wrap up the intergalactic war between the Covenant and the Humans. In the level prior to "Floodgate" the prophet of Truth just activated an ancient Forerunner portal of somekind that was buried under the Earth of an unknown Millenia.

Just as I get excited to go in guns blazing after Truth, who is there to ruin the party? The Flood. Crash landing on Earth and forcing Master Chief to stay and stop the Flood from infecting all of Earth...okay that last part sounded cool, but it doesn't help that the level isn't anything special or exciting.

2. Any and all Arbiter Levels in Halo 2
Am I being too harsh here? Maybe so, but nobody can argue that Arbiter levels are more exciting than Master Chief levels in Halo 2. From the color of the Heads Up Display, to the weapons that are used, the Arbiter levels just are not that exciting and when I played them, I tried to complete them as fast as possible so I could get back to playing as Master Chief.

1. Cortana, Halo 3
This should be a unanimous pick amongst all Halo fans. This level sucked. Fighting in a Flood infested Convenant ship? Sounds kinda cool, but the entire time Gravemind is making me walk slow and I'm getting the shit kicked out of me by stubborn hordes of Flood, and on top of it Cortana is tripping out.

So after fighting for half an hour through the most unattractive Halo scenery, you finally rescue Cortana, yay! Now you have to fight all the way back out...no.


Bungie dropped the ball on this level, and they know it. How funny it is that the worst Halo level is right before the best one.
-----------
So that's my personal list of what I believe to be the best, and worst, of all the Halo campaigns. I hope you all comment on what you think of my list, as well as your own lists of what you think are the best Halo levels. I am very interested to see what other fans think...

Thank you for reading, now to get back to Halo: Reach...

Posted by David

11 Comments

  1. RoboticAids Says:
  2. Best campaign? Halo CE. All others can suck it.

     
  3. 5. ODST. - Boring, played through once. Never again.
    4. Reach. - No heart, didn't live up to the back story, no epic battles and every gun was actually awful.
    3. 3. - You finally get to finish the fight.
    2. Combat Evolved. - No real storyline but at the time it was groundbreaking.
    1. 2. - It gave us much more than we was craving. It had a double storyline that interweaved and provided us with more background than any other about the Covenant. You could play as an Elite but sadly there was no killing of humans. It presented graphics as advanced as the XBOX original could muster added more enimies and gave us dual wielding and vehicle jacks.

    In short although most people did not like playing as the Elite it offered a huge opening for a bigger story and basically you wouldn't of got to 3 without 2. You wouldn't understand easily why the Elites where thrown from their postion as guardians of the Prophets. It also gave us the line "Finishing this fight"

     
  4. DGknight Says:
  5. I've only played CE's, half of 2's, ODST's and the Reach SP's.

    CE's was great, except for the Library. Quite possibly the worst level ever made. 2's was garbage cause of the Arbiter and ODST was alright, but a bit melancholy.

    The space level in Reach is one of the best experiences I've ever had in a game. It wins hands-down!

     
  6. Dponell Says:
  7. I mostly agree with this list. When Halo (1) came out, it blew my mind. I played the campaign over and over and bought a second Xbox so I could LAN with my brother. There were some weak levels, so it was nice that you could select individual missions. Nine years later, we get Halo Reach that has virtually no weak levels at all. That's pretty great progress IMO.
    I'm torn between Halo 2 and Halo 3. as epic and satisfying as Halo 3 was, I kinda missed the risk taking and experimenting they did in Halo 2. Even the Halo 2 soundtrack is more memorable than Halo 3. It's like they listened to the criticisms of 2 and played it TOO safe in Halo 3

     
  8. DANTEDMC Says:
  9. I think VGH got this one spot on. Reach found the perfect balance and didn't have a single bad level. It included one of the best missions ever in a Halo game and had some really melancholy and heartfelt moments. The soundtrack was also incredible. I would definitely have ODST in second. It also had a very melancholy and bittersweet feel to it and it was the most visually unique of the Halo games. Putting us in the shoes of a human gave us another perspective of the Halo universe and the feeling of isolation was excellent.

     
  10. Halo 3 has the best one for me. And in my personal opinion, Reach's campaign is the most uninteresting Halo campaign I've ever played. You just know how it's gonna end, character development is poor eventhough there are signs that Bungie tried hard to make players like or feel a connection for them. I'm sorry but I'm completely disappointed with the Reach's campaign. My list would be like this;

    1- Halo 3
    2- Halo: Combat Evolved
    3- Halo 2
    4- Halo 3: ODST
    5- Halo: Reach

    Just my personal opinion of course.

     
  11. Of course!! Bungies last Halo, which i still haven't got is there best game and i'm missing out...fml :/

     
  12. David Says:
  13. @Battle2thefinish:

    I have to completely disagree with you about the Halo: Reach campaign, there was BUCKETS of heart in it. Some of Halo's most chilling moments came in that game. It was a complete package and might be the best campaign of all.

    Halo 3 was epic beyond our wildest dreams, but a few really dull levels keeps it from being HANDS DOWN the best.

    Halo 2 is sorely underrated by a lot of people, I enjoyed it each time I played.

    Halo: CE is probably my favorite of all of them.

    thanks for commenting!

     
  14. David Says:
  15. @DG Knight.

    It's fair to say I agree with your points!

     
  16. David Says:
  17. @DantedMC

    I have no qualms with Reach being called the best, but I can't agree with ODST at #2. While it was a fantastic change of pace, I never found myself blown away like I was with the other Halos.

     
  18. David Says:
  19. @Kindersurprise

    I am shocked to hear you didn't like the Reach campaign. It was touching and played out almost like it's own movie. The character development was excellent, in my own opinion.

    Here is a VERY rough list of how I order the campaigns.

    1. Halo: CE
    2. Halo: Reach
    3. Halo 3
    4. Halo 2
    5. Halo: ODST

     

Post a Comment

Spam/advertising comments will NEVER BE TOLERATED and will be deleted immediately!

Comic will be up soon!


Thumb Us!

Henchmen Cast


Community

INTERACT

The Industry Tweets